Motorola R2670 Questions

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

d119

Motorola R2670 Questions

Post by d119 »

I have an R2670 (it's currently out for calibration so I don't have it in front of me), but I believe it's an "A" model.

It has firmware version 5.something in it.

What do I need to do to get this thing set up so it's compatible with the GD AutoTest software? We're considering ordering the software if we can get our existing monitor upgraded to support it.

Can the R2670 be upgraded with the necessary firmware/options?
firemedic

Re: Motorola R2670 Questions

Post by firemedic »

The GD Autotest will work with the A revision monitors, just not as fast as I think it is limited to 9600 baud vs the B models 115k. Which version of autotest do you want to run, and does the monitor have the options in it that you want to test for, i.e. Project 25, secure, etc.

I have the autotest for the XTS3000/Astro Saber and it is very flakey with my setup. Sometimes it will work, other times it won't. If I try to do a full alignment/test sequence it errors out. If I do the tests one at a time which defeats my purpose of setting the radio to go and letting the software do the work, it seems to work ok. Pretty much no rhyme or reason to it. GD's normal answer is, weird, we've never seen that before, we'll call you back. It's been about a month and no call back. Go figure.

Anyway, when it works it does work well and takes alot of the work out of aligning the radios. Still a few things need tweaked by hand though.
Keith Dobbins N8KLD
IT Mainframe Network Engineer
W8TAP Repeater Group
Repeater Technician
Parkersburg, WV
d119

Post by d119 »

Very good. I'll investigate further. The specs for the software indicate the service monitor must have version 6 firmware, ours has version 5. Which are you using?
firemedic

Post by firemedic »

I'm using the most current. I contacted GD support and they sent us a CD with the update program and the current firmware free of charge. This was last year but I assume that's still the case. The support guys on the monitor are pretty good to deal with so far when I've had problems. Mine's due for calibration now so I gotta be without it for a week and I think I'm going to go through withdraw. I might still have a copy of the disk (free from GD, has some other demo stuff on it as well and some tools for printing out the screen to a PC) here I can send you as well if you wanted it.
Keith Dobbins N8KLD
IT Mainframe Network Engineer
W8TAP Repeater Group
Repeater Technician
Parkersburg, WV
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

Common practice at the service depot (CTDI) is to automatically update the firmware to the latest version.
Dave
d119

Post by d119 »

Thanks for the heads up Dave. We send our monitors to Cardinal Electronics for repair, so we'll see if they do any firmware updates or whatnot.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

I don't know if Bob updates the firmware or not. Call him and ask. Otherwise call Ricky at CTDI (1-800-323-6967), he can help.Also, if you guys with questions on test equipment will put them in the General forum, I will be able to respond quicker. (I don't come into the Infrastructure forum too often).
Dave
d119

Post by d119 »

Wish we had a forum dedicated to test equipment...

Bob says that firmware updates "can only be done by Motorola".

I don't buy.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

d119 wrote:Wish we had a forum dedicated to test equipment...
Seconded. I'd really like it if folks would ask questions about our (Aeroflex) gear in a public forum rather than in a PM, as that way everybody gets to see the answer.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I think maybe my arm could be twisted.........

I'll see what the others say, but I don't object to the addition of a test equipment forum.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
xmo

Post by xmo »

I do like the idea of a "Test" forum.

In addition to questions about specific instruments, their operation, comparison to other instruments, etc. subjects could include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR and return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment and testing, and many others.
d119

Post by d119 »

Well I'll once again reiterate that it'd be great to have a forum for test equipment. It would be ideal if it could allow discussion of non-Motorola service monitors, as I personally own an IFR-1500S/A, and I use R2600B's and R2670's at work.

I also agree with XMO's statement. The forum could be called "Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment"

Lets get it going!!!! Test equipment forum! I'll even volunteer to help moderate it if someone is needed to help with that, if not, thats fine too, let's just get it going!
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Should we have sub-forums for different manufactures and/or models of test gear, and for test advice?
d119 wrote:It would be ideal if it could allow discussion of non-Motorola service monitors...
Technically, there *are* no more "Motorola" monitors: that division got spun off into General Dynamics Decision Systems (and now-a-days Motorola works very close with us (Aeroflex) for their test solutions).
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
d119

Post by d119 »

Even better.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewforum.php?f=42

Done. I directly plagiarized some of the ideas/text/etc with some minor cleanup (which probably still could use fine tuning) and created the forum.

-Alex
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
d119

Post by d119 »

SWEET! Thank you alex. Now can you please move this thread over there and we'll get back on topic!
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Oh I guess... :)
studsmerkel
New User

Post by studsmerkel »

I am considering buying a service monitor in anticipation of contracting some rf work to augment my retirement. I am considering the 2670. My question is do I buy a base model and purchase options or get one optioned out to begin with. I haven't been able to find any info on the costs of the individual options. I would like to have P25 conventional and trunking and maybe the secure options.
studsmerkel
New User

Post by studsmerkel »

I read somewhere that a non-astro (no P25) 2670 can be software upgraded. Is this the case or does it require another board: and the cost if it does
jry

Post by jry »

so upgrading these units can be done but its non-trivial and not just software in most cases.

So much of it depends on where you are starting from since there are a number of hardware,updates and software changes that need to happen depending on the desired configurations.

P25 was not originally part of the R2670 but a capability added later ( Astro VSLEP, SecureNet encrytpion and SmartNet analog trunking were in the initial release and you ordered at least one )

The R2670 was made over a long span of time and used a number of generations of internal HW even though the model number did not always change .

In later versions the hardware slice that allowed the high tier functionality was optional and not even included in some cases.

Had a number of people purchase these basic versions thinking that functionality was either included or easily added... turned out to be a very expensive mistake.

There are a lot of broken R26XX units out there since the self test and calibration routine does not do much from an overall operations testing or diagnostics. They appear to work but may have major issues lurking.( blown attenuators ,no RX , no output etc... ) so do not depend on those internal tests as an indicator of the overall health or functionality.

Also make sure the processor battery has been replaced since they can leak and damage the processor board.
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

Hello jry. I replaced my R2600C internal battery in July 2008 with a battery from Farnell.co.uk. Battery is still working. When do you guess battery will start leaking?
"The world runs on radio."
jry

Post by jry »

given the cost of the batteries vs. scrapping the unit due to a corroded processor board every ten years would be the maximum I would go.
three to five years would really be more in line .

Most of these will not leak in that time frame and usually fail firsts forcing a re-calibration every power on but not worth the risk IMHO.

there may be a better replacement technology than the original NiCad/NiMH battery approach.
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

Where is the best place to get a battery?
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

Is battery negative the same as rf module's frames?
W0VNE
New User

Post by W0VNE »

jry wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:00 am
so upgrading these units can be done but its non-trivial and not just software in most cases.

So much of it depends on where you are starting from since there are a number of hardware,updates and software changes that need to happen depending on the desired configurations.

P25 was not originally part of the R2670 but a capability added later ( Astro VSLEP, SecureNet encrytpion and SmartNet analog trunking were in the initial release and you ordered at least one )

The R2670 was made over a long span of time and used a number of generations of internal HW even though the model number did not always change .

In later versions the hardware slice that allowed the high tier functionality was optional and not even included in some cases.

Had a number of people purchase these basic versions thinking that functionality was either included or easily added... turned out to be a very expensive mistake.

There are a lot of broken R26XX units out there since the self test and calibration routine does not do much from an overall operations testing or diagnostics. They appear to work but may have major issues lurking.( blown attenuators ,no RX , no output etc... ) so do not depend on those internal tests as an indicator of the overall health or functionality.

Also make sure the processor battery has been replaced since they can leak and damage the processor board.
Ahh I need to thank you. Have been puzzling over my 2nd Ebay R2670 that started with inability to read Radio RF out in watts and now the generator doesn't put out a peep on either of the RF connectors. R2670 btw arrived with a 3" hole in the bottom which I didn't even notice until I plugged it in. It was like that YouTube guy that keeps shocking himself. Anyway on #2 R2670 (newer model) Recv through the Antenna is solid everything there seems to work fine. I'm so old school I was expecting some big resistive dummy load when I started poking around inside. So after squinting at a really low res copy of a R2600 service manual do they use attenuators up front (Which probably arrived when I bought it slightly fried) and take thermal and wattage measurements off the output of the attenuated signal? That might be a big help in diagnosing this jewel. *I do love the thing. I went from a really really really old IFR that I've fixed and refixed so many times my eyes cross thinking that to get some stuff tuned I'll have to drag it out and pray it at least outputs some RF for recv tune adjustments.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”