IFR 1500

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Andy Corbin

IFR 1500

Post by Andy Corbin »

I am looking at an IFR 1500 on Ebay. Looks to be OK except the description mentions "N.V. RAM check sum error".

I am not familiar with the IFR 1500 line that much. Will mostly be doing basic tx and rx stuff as well an occasional duplexer etc.

Question- Is this a serious fault with the unit or something most folks can get by with? I will probably be using an external frequency standard on it.

Andy
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: IFR 1500

Post by Wowbagger »

It just means you won't have any software options IIRC.

As a basic service monitor it should be just fine.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

It just means you won't have any software options IIRC.

As a basic service monitor it should be just fine.
Thanks WB. I appreciate the info.

I was going to purchase an IFR1900 from a friend but it turned out to have a few more problems than originally thought. Such as sometimes it would lock on an external frequency standard. Sometimes not. AM modulation about 10-20% low (not a big deal with me) and a few other things. However, the time I had with the 1900 was interesting. LOTS of features and most of which I will never use or have need of.

If I can get a good deal on a 1200 Super S or a 1500 I will probably go for it.

Currently have a Cushman CE50 (SA/TG) and a Motorola R2400. Also an IFR500A to take to remote locations so I can have reasonable semblance of both arms being the same length.

Andy
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Andy Corbin wrote: Currently have a Cushman CE50 (SA/TG) and a Motorola R2400. Also an IFR500A to take to remote locations so I can have reasonable semblance of both arms being the same length.

Andy
Hell, I *need* my COM-120B in one hand just to balance out my toolkit in the other - else I'd fall over.

Of course, I can now scratch my ankles without bending over, but....

(In actuality though, I do find it easier to carry my toolkit and my 120 for balance, but for any long schlep over smooth terrain I have a little folding dolly I put everything on.)
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
WB5ITT
What radios do you own?: Motorola, GE, Kenwood, Yaesu

Post by WB5ITT »

Andy Corbin wrote:I am looking at an IFR 1500 on Ebay. Looks to be OK except the description mentions "N.V. RAM check sum error".

I am not familiar with the IFR 1500 line that much. Will mostly be doing basic tx and rx stuff as well an occasional duplexer etc.

Question- Is this a serious fault with the unit or something most folks can get by with? I will probably be using an external frequency standard on it.

Andy
If you look on board 2(?), there is a 5 volt battery for holding the NVRAM up (freq, memories, etc)..when it starts to go bad, you get the message...change the battery (Mouser and DigiKey both have it) and you are back in business....Have TWO 1500s that did the same thing...battery solved the issue in both...

Chris
WB5ITT
Chris WB5ITT
Trustee, W5APX
Beaumont, TX

Motorola, you may find better but you'll never pay more! 😉
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

WB5ITT wrote:
Andy Corbin wrote:I am looking at an IFR 1500 on Ebay. Looks to be OK except the description mentions "N.V. RAM check sum error".

Andy
If you look on board 2(?), there is a 5 volt battery for holding the NVRAM up (freq, memories, etc)..when it starts to go bad, you get the message...change the battery (Mouser and DigiKey both have it) and you are back in business....Have TWO 1500s that did the same thing...battery solved the issue in both...

Chris
WB5ITT
Chris,
Thanks for the input. I have repaired the problem with a replacement battery. Another problem surfaced, although not major, I need to dig in and see if I can repair. I am not getting any transmitter power readings. I found a burned, as in totally fried, rf pad in the power term module and replaced that. I am suspecting a diode in there was also taken out and I need to figure out an appropriate replacement. I am hoping and praying it didn't take out those micro-relays. They look rather expensive if I could get them at all. RF reading on a service monitor is not something I do regularly. I just don't get a comfortable feeling dumping rf into that box. Most of the time I run transmitters through my Bird into a dummy load. I feel a lot more comfortable with that.

Your name and call look VERY familiar. Have we hooked up in the past? Many years ago, in the pre-internet days, I subscribed to a network called RIME which had various forums including ham radio. Perhaps we crossed paths there??? I was a moderator/conference host on one of the conferences (not radio related). There is a legacy yahoo group of those regular participants from that group even today.

Andy
W4KDN (formally WD4KDN)

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”