Motorola R-2001D - Is this normal?

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jistabout

Motorola R-2001D - Is this normal?

Post by jistabout »

Hi everyone!

My R-2014D(R-2001D) service monitor seems like it takes the VCO (or something) a few extra microseconds before it locks when changing frequencies, mostly in generate mode.

Also, when going from receive to generate mode, there is a pronounced "chirp" just before everything locks. Sounds like a bad CW note.

Is this normal for these? If not then I'll persue troubleshooting. Thanks!

- Darrell/KA7BTV
Aww screw it. I didn't wanna fool with it anymore anyhow.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: Motorola R-2001D - Is this normal?

Post by DJP126 »

jistabout wrote: My R-2014D(R-2001D) service monitor seems like it takes the VCO (or something) a few extra microseconds before it locks when changing frequencies, mostly in generate mode.
Depends on what you consider "a few extra microseconds" and how much of a change in frequency. The VCO module has SIX phase lock loops to control the frequencies. Obviously they must be at the proper points befor lock occurs.
jistabout wrote: Also, when going from receive to generate mode, there is a pronounced "chirp" just before everything locks. Sounds like a bad CW note.
Definitely NOT normal.
Dave
jistabout

Post by jistabout »

Thanks Dave, I had hoped that you or Bernie would see this. I bought the manuals on CD and so will troubleshoot.

On a sidenote, someone here on Batlabs was asking about the quality of the R-2001D CD manuals from eBay awhile back. The quality is excellent.
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth:
No, the chirp is not normal. Should you be concerned is another matter.
Observing the Spectrum display can give you an idea how things are working.
Observe a known stable signal.

Various signal sources within the synthesizer are employed depending on the frequency.
I would be concerned if the VCO is noisy, has high phase jitter, or is spurious.

The theory of operation should help you in determining which VCO is having a problem.
You can always try to re seat everything. I use Caig labs R5 on the contacts and slides.

Unless there is actually a problem with operation on your frequencies of interest, I would leave it alone.
It is like driving my antique Mercedes, no it is not supposed to make that noise, but it has made that noise for the last 25 years and 100,000 miles.

Fortunately, this synthesizer is repairable, unlike the synthesizer used in the earlier units.
Aloha, Bernie
jistabout

Post by jistabout »

bernie wrote:My two bits worth:
Should you be concerned is another matter.

.....Unless there is actually a problem with operation on your frequencies of interest, I would leave it alone.
It is like driving my antique Mercedes, no it is not supposed to make that noise, but it has made that noise for the last 25 years and 100,000 miles.
Good point. It wouldn't bug me at all except that it gets annoying sometimes, especially when using the duplex generator.....

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”