Motorola R2014D / HS "Oven Ready" Problem

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

4n6inv

Motorola R2014D / HS "Oven Ready" Problem

Post by 4n6inv »

As the gloomy title says; the "Oven Ready" light does not come on. This is a Motorola R2014D /HS service monitor. It will not lock onto even a strong (NOAA) frequency. I know this is a really bad thing - I just want to know "How Bad?" If my memory serves me correctly; it is the "board" inside the service monitor that looks like a bronze box, or a giant hard disk. Can anybody set me straight on this? I'm in the process of moving my shop, so my manuals and most of my tools are in various stages of packing and unpacking. So, this is NOT a good time for my service monitor to take the plunge. It didn't take any hard knocks in the moving process. In fact; I put it in the back of my SUV and carried it individually. I guess the first step is to take the cover off and try re-seating the boards inside the service monitor. Any suggestions, experience, or advice, etc, will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jim
Lake Effect

Re: Motorola R2014D / HS "Oven Ready" Problem

Post by Lake Effect »

Is it possibly as simple as the 10 mhz switch on the bottom got bumped to the external position?

L.E.
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

You are a god and a scholar! That’s what it was. Apparently, it got switched to EXT while riding in the back of my SUV on its bottom. Thank you so much! It came back to life once I switched it back and turned it back on. I had never considered that as a possibility.

Jim
Lake Effect

Post by Lake Effect »

Sometimes we get lucky and it is the simple things. Glad it worked out for you.

L.E.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

As for the internal boards: there 'should' be a plastic spacer that fits width-wise over the boards under the cover, as well as another 'spacer' for the front panel.
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

Duly noted. I've sent my R2014D / HS in for calibriration / repair. My boss has genoursly bought me a R2670 in th mean time, with a promise to buy me a new IRF SM in the near future. I think the R2670 sucks due to the slow refresh rate on the spectrum analyzer, but; who's bitchin?

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”