Service Monitor Help

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firestick
What radios do you own?: Astro Baby!!!!

Service Monitor Help

Post by firestick »

Im looking at purchasing my first service monitor to test, align, service radios. The ability to tune diplexers would be nice but not essential.

Ive seen a few Aeroflex (IFR) ones around and lately a few Rhode ones within my price range.

Any sugestions?
Shaun Dennis

XTL5000 O5, XTS3000II, MTS2000 and an MCS2000.
Also a few GP339's and GP328's
tvsjr

Re: Service Monitor Help

Post by tvsjr »

As long as you don't need anything above 1GHz, I'm a big fan of the HP8921. Make sure it has the 60-watt power option in it (you can upgrade it later from an eBay seller if you want 100-watt), but they come with spec-an/TG/OCXO/etc. by default, and they are usually reasonably priced. The UI is very intuitive and they don't have the looooong buffer of the IFR1600/1900.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

tvsjr wrote:The UI is very intuitive and they don't have the looooong buffer of the IFR1600/1900.
Could I ask you to elaborate on what you mean by "long buffer"?
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Wowbagger wrote:
tvsjr wrote:The UI is very intuitive and they don't have the looooong buffer of the IFR1600/1900.
Typically observed when tuning a duplexer. The lag between tweaking the can and seeing it on the screen is on the order of a second or two - makes it very easy to overshoot. The HP is a few hundred milliseconds.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

tvsjr wrote:
Wowbagger wrote:
Typically observed when tuning a duplexer. The lag between tweaking the can and seeing it on the screen is on the order of a second or two - makes it very easy to overshoot. The HP is a few hundred milliseconds.
That's why I spend a few late nights (much like this one) optimizing the digitizer path on the COM-120B, so the interrupt service routine from the digitizer could move the data directly to the graphics processor, and the trace got drawn on the next vertical blank. 80Hz update rate.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Yep, the COM120B is great in that regard.
firestick
What radios do you own?: Astro Baby!!!!

Post by firestick »

Well...looks decided then...ill be getting a COM120B then and with the Aussie $ going so well things are looking even better.
Shaun Dennis

XTL5000 O5, XTS3000II, MTS2000 and an MCS2000.
Also a few GP339's and GP328's

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”