CPS v2.0 question, anyone experienced with it?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sxmoto
New User

CPS v2.0 question, anyone experienced with it?

Post by sxmoto »

Hi, I am for the first time starting to use the new CPS v2.0 that came with the radios and repeaters that I purchased. I am trying to program several portable radios with digital channels 1-3, and then program one last digital channel on position 16 (and leaving 4-15 blank). My issue is that when I assign the next channel after position 3 in zone1 the CPS automatically assigns it position 4, and then there is no way to subsequently reassign that channel to a different position, in my case 16. I already tried all kinds of right-click, left click, the channel edit button with the pencil icon which does not allow to assign the channel position either. So I'm kind of lost, wondering if anyone has found a way I could accomplish this.

Also, on earlier CPS v16 one used to be able to change the sequence of channel position assignment by just dragging and dropping the channel from inside the zone window. This does not seem to work either in v2.0. Not that it would in any way solve my problem, but also wanted to mention it.

In any case I am using the latest v2.0 CPS release which is v2.24.200.0 (October 2020).

Any help and/or pointers would be much appreciated.
jackhackett

Re: CPS v2.0 question, anyone experienced with it?

Post by jackhackett »

I've been using 2.0, unfortunately.
I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can figure out how to do that.
One thing I've done before is edit a codeplug in an older version of CPS where it's not so much like torture, and then imported it into 2.0 to be able to program the radio. Not sure if that would work for you, but if you have an existing codeplug set up the way you want it's worth a try loading it into 2.0.
sxmoto
New User

Post by sxmoto »

Yes that definitively would be of great help be able to work in v16 CPS until getting ready to write the radios. Fortunately finally got all 50 radios programmed and ready for drop off tomorrow to customer. I had to use Rx only neutered stubs to be able to place my last active channel on position 16. The codeplug structure does not allow to leave blank channels.

The v2 CPS interface really stinks and is terribly slow to react to anything. Just ticking an option checkbox operation takes about a second to react and even briefly brings up the sand clock. Everything is so slow that it gets very frustrating. And whats with the "Unpacking Data" crap? Writing a radio now takes almost 30 seconds, and if you add the radio boot time, well its a waiting game everywhere and times add up here and there. Never had to wait so long in years for software to do something, remains me many years ago dealing with peoples overburdened Win98 computers short of RAM or crappy CPU that I had to fix sometimes. This CPS feels exactly like that, everything sort of ooooozes along.

I just briefly went to the older v16 CPS for an earlier radio and it was such a joy to use it again compared to the horrible experience of v2.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I hope Moto will do something about this crappy CPS, although so far they have already released several updates that not fixed any of the very obvious software performance issues. After having to use it to get this many radios programmed, even cloning from a master file was such a excruciating procedure.

Or maybe they will release v3 someday and it will be worth anything.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

I took a look at it, and I think that's pretty much what you have to do, put some RX only channels in to fill up the spaces.
It was that way in the older CPS too.
You have to consider that MotoTRBO is aimed at the commercial market where people don't generally care what 'position' a channel is in, it's mostly public safety that would want a channel at the last position so they can just turn the selector to one extreme or the other.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (3xxx/5xxx/7xxx/SL) 2.0 Series Subscribers”