SLR5700 cap plus

Moderator: Queue Moderator

johnny1225

SLR5700 cap plus

Post by johnny1225 »

I have a pretty basic system in a hotel. 1 SLR5700 UHF Repeater high split. 50/50 splitter on repeater with cabling going down with 2 antennas going down. Cabling going up to 12th floor with 1 antenna. The cabling was very old and was LMR400. Now we have all new 1/2" foam heliax cabling and also turn them from just digital to capacity plus. Once we turned them to Cap plus it seems that a lot of the time when they press their PTT button it will bonk at them or will get through with no voice coming through on the rx radio. They system worked fine before when they where just digital with 2 time slots, now that they are cap plus with new bigger cable it seems the system is not good like before. Is there any adjustments on the repeater or radios that can be made like the RSSI that will make this system back to normal. The radios are XPR3500e uhf high split. The repeater is on the 6th floor with a total of 18 floors. Can someone help?

John
Bill_G

Re: SLR5700 cap plus

Post by Bill_G »

Haven't we talked about this system before?

So, you changed the LMR400 for half inch heliax. Did you reuse the same antennas?
Did you sweep the new cables, and did you get greater than 20db return loss?
Any other changes to the system like new splitters, and relocate / re-aim the antennas?

I'll ask our Trbo experts if CP has other requirements. It's possible that the subscribers are wandering to another repeater, but cannot always get a channel grant because of path issues. IE: inappropriate site affiliation problems caused by too much coverage.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

I would start with programming a second channel in the repeater in analog mode. Channel steer to that channel and do a full set of tests (site noise, TX desense, co-channel interference etc).
johnny1225

Post by johnny1225 »

Nothing has changed antenna's are new and also splitters are new. Same location for antennas nothing has moved. Problems only once I turned them to cap plus. This is not the same system this is a totally different system.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Was there a period of time when the new antennas and line were in place, but you had not migrated them to CPlus yet, that it all worked the way it was supposed to?
ve3nsv

Post by ve3nsv »

Are you sure about your Capacity Plus programming? Does it work when you are local to the repeater? I've had some issues with the SLR5700 in Capacity Plus with older XPR6350's not accessing or passing audio. I even opened a case with Motorola which went nowhere.

It was just one department with 5 radios and we convinced them to just replace them with XPR3300's.
johnny1225

Post by johnny1225 »

Yes when they were just digital it worked fine. They where using a XPR8300 repeater and XPR6350 radio, now they are using a SLR5700 repeater with XPR3500e radios. When they were using the old stuff everything worked fine now that everything is new intermittingly one radio will tx the other radio will receive but no voice. Took some rssi readings when this was happening and the rssi readings where good around -63dbm or so??
n1gtl
What radios do you own?: XPR5550, XPR7550e

Post by n1gtl »

Can you email the code plug?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

johnny1225 wrote:Yes when they were just digital it worked fine. They where using a XPR8300 repeater and XPR6350 radio, now they are using a SLR5700 repeater with XPR3500e radios. When they were using the old stuff everything worked fine now that everything is new intermittingly one radio will tx the other radio will receive but no voice. Took some rssi readings when this was happening and the rssi readings where good around -63dbm or so??
Are some or all of the subscribers using enhanced privacy, by chance?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
FatBoy

Post by FatBoy »

I would sweep the cabling. If not a cabling issue, what is gain of antennas in use? What is the admit criteria in the subscriber codeplug? I understand that plain digital was not tested on the new cabling and antenna system. Is this accurate? FB
......I understand what the package says sir, but you cannot talk 28 miles with 3 AA batteries.......
jsilberberg

Post by jsilberberg »

As others have said, check / sweep the infrastructure.

But also check the code plugs. I have seen many time issues where the slot lists are not in the right order and the subscribers can't follow the rest channel so most of the PTTs end up denied. Since these are new SLR repeaters also check the RAS settings across your code plugs.

Why isn't the dealer who sold you the upgrade fixing this ?
J. Silberberg
CompuDesigns, Inc.
Atlanta, GA.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

jsilberberg wrote:Why isn't the dealer who sold you the upgrade fixing this ?
He is the "dealer." He comes to Batlabs for free technical support on all his problems
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Why on earth would you make a single repeater into a cap+ system? Every subscriber is going to have trouble with channel grants, especially if you have the SIT and the other timers set incorrectly. HAve you actually read the system planner?
n1gtl
What radios do you own?: XPR5550, XPR7550e

Post by n1gtl »

com501 wrote:Why on earth would you make a single repeater into a cap+ system? Every subscriber is going to have trouble with channel grants, especially if you have the SIT and the other timers set incorrectly. HAve you actually read the system planner?
Need three talk groups? With two slots rotating, you won't have to lock into slot 1 or slot 2. ATB still possible but less likely.

All call ability? There are tricks I have used such as auto scan since you don't need a roam list.

With the outrageous ($) EID costs, I'd try to find a conventional workaround.

Return to “MotoTRBO Repeaters, Trunking, and Site Infrastructure”