Astrolab Version B03.04.00 for astro spectra ?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radiodude123
New User

Astrolab Version B03.04.00 for astro spectra ?

Post by radiodude123 »

I have the astrolab Version B03.04.00. According to the astro mobiles section here on batlabs it should work for astro spectra.
When I start the program I notice it says for astro portables ?
Is there a different version for astro spectra ? Or am I not running the program correctly ?
I see a file called astrop.cfg. Do I need the same file for mobiles ? There is also a file called runtime.odb ?
Anyway I can't seem to read any astro spectra codeplugs, archives or srecords.
It will read astro saber files though.
Anyone have experience with this RSS ?
How do I get it to work with astro spectra ?
Thanks
Thomas
What radios do you own?: MCS2K,CDM1250,XTS3000,XTL2500

Re: Astrolab Version B03.04.00 for astro spectra ?

Post by Thomas »

Usually when there is separate CPS for mobiles and portables there is separate Lab software also. Though you most likely answered your own question through experimentation. If the software says it's for portables then it is what it is.
d119

Post by d119 »

I would not be using any of those old tools on a radio from "today's era" unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Experimentation with that old stuff on a radio that's not from that era of software (read: firmware/codeplug) will almost certainly leave you with a dead radio.

It has its uses, but that treads into an area I don't think the staff want discussed here on the site. I'll let them chime in on that.

My best advice is to leave that stuff alone lest you end up with a radio that's worse off than when you started.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I recall regular Astro RSS was an all-in-one package, you simply typed 'astrop' for portables & 'astrom' for mobiles to run the applicable .bat file. Maybe the LAB RSS is similar?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
d119

Post by d119 »

The DOS ASTRO Lab that's floating around out there is incredibly old. The codeplug structure has changed so much that any attempt to use it for anything other than read/write with no pack/unpack will brick a radio.

The only real use it has is pulling and pushing s-records.

Trying to change features/buttons/read/write the radio with it will give you a very expensive paperweight.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

d119 wrote:The only real use it has is pulling and pushing s-records.
And even that is dangerous. For Astro Spectras at least, it will corrupt the codeplug & the radio will give an 01/82 error after writing the packed s-record. Oddly, the MTSX LAB 3.02.00 has no issue with Astro Spectras, and can even fix the corruption cause by the Astro LAB by forcing in the same packed s-record properly.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

d119

Post by d119 »

That is why you always use the read/write with no pack/unpack!
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

d119 wrote:That is why you always use the read/write with no pack/unpack!
No, that still causes the corruption, is what I'm saying. Try it with an Astro Spectra, just make sure you have MTSX LAB to fix it!

d119

Post by d119 »

Aha! Well than that just makes more of a case to not use Astro LAB for anything, ever.

MTSX Lab can handle everything anyway.

Return to “ASTRO Series (Astro Saber, Spectra, XTS3000/3500) Subscribers”