Need Help - XTL5000 remote head wiring question

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n6fnp
Batboard $upporter

Need Help - XTL5000 remote head wiring question

Post by n6fnp »

I recently got an XTL5000 with remote O5 head. I connected the cable to one of the blue jacks on the control head and to a blue
jack on the drawer unit (does it matter which of the two blue jacks are used?). I connected the speaker/ignition sense connector to
the drawer unit and applied power to the ignition wire and to the radio.

When I press the power button on the control head, the speaker sometimes makes a beep, but nothing comes up on the display. Is there
anything else that I need to do, or is there a possible problem with the radio or head?

-Thor
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: Need Help - XTL5000 remote head wiring question

Post by FireCpt809 »

The speaker igniton cable goes into the control head
n6fnp
Batboard $upporter

Post by n6fnp »

Thanks - I did try that, but didn't get anything on the display and didn't even get any beeping from the speaker. :(
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

It's not the trapezoidal one, if that's what you're trying to hook up. A remote O5 head needs the yellow color coded cable with ignition sense, B+ and audio out.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

The power wiring cable at the control head should have a yellow wire. this goes to the ignition feed. the red wire needs to go to a constant 12 volts all the time. Then there is the black wire. That goes to the ground of the vehicle.

Now that you have the 05 control head powered, you need to make sure that the heavy red and black wires that plug into the rear of the radio are also connected. The heavy red wire goes to the battery plus, so it is hot all the time. The heavy black wire goes to the frame of the vehicle.

Now a note to the wise on the red wire from the control head. If you run this through the ignition feed, you will find your battery will be drained by the radio. It will pull about 700 ma after the radio is shut off. This is why the red wire from the control head is run to a hot 12 volt feed all the time. You won't have the radio pulling that 700 ma drain when it is shut off.

As someone else said, it doesn't matter which of the blue connectors you put the control cable from the radio to the control head. The control head power cable will only plug into one connector, so you can't screw it up. This is one area where Motorola made it stupid proof. They must have been thinking about some of the slower learning radio techs that are out in the field.

Jim
n6fnp
Batboard $upporter

Post by n6fnp »

Thanks. I think its the cable that goes into the red jack (J200) and looks like its more than just the ignition sense and that
the control head gets its power from this connector. I was hoping that it got its power from the cable that goes to the drawer.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

Oops, I wrote yellow color coded cable but I meant the red one with the yellow, red, black and audio cable. Part number HKN6188. I've installed enough that you'd think I'd remember correctly!

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”