XTS5000 with Sierra Module Firmware Update

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

XTS5000 with Sierra Module Firmware Update

Post by NSPD »

So I bought a VHF XTS5000 on eBay that arrived with a Harris Sierra module installed (no type 1 algorithms loaded).

The radio works great but apparently was manufactured in 2005 and never programmed or used. It has R05.00.00 firmware and DSP and the Sierra module has R04.xx.xx firmware. With such old firmware it is rather limited.

After some searching I see the radio has to have the module installed to work due to a modified vocon. Can these radios be firmware updated by normal means or am I stuck with R05.00.00? I don't want to risk bricking the radio somehow.
Jake
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Re: XTS5000 with Sierra Module Firmware Update

Post by spectragod »

The FW can be uplifted, I would recommend an alignment as well.

I can do both, as can many others on the board.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Re: XTS5000 with Sierra Module Firmware Update

Post by motorola_otaku »

Curious, does it firmware uplift using normal means or does it take special .cvns and procedures?

.gov seems to be more lax with letting these hit the surplus market lately and I'd love to add a properly DMILed one to the collection.

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”