Astro Spectra Plus VHF HAM question

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radiocat37

Astro Spectra Plus VHF HAM question

Post by radiocat37 »

I have programmed many astro spectra VHF radios down to 144 MHz, but this is my first go around with an astro spectra plus VHF T04KLH9SW9AN (I have messed with numerous 800 MHz AS plus). My AS plus will not go into the 144-145 portion of the band without showing the "invalid field" signal. I am guessing without some hex editing this may not work. I am pretty good with hex editing so can someone steer me with some directions and info on how to make this work? thank you
Brian Griffin: Ah, if my memory serves me, this is the physics department.
Chris Griffin: That would explain all the gravity.

Lois: Peter, you're drunk again.
Peter: No, I'm just exhausted because I've been up all night drinking.
W3AXL
What radios do you own?: an unhealthy amount of them

Re: Astro Spectra Plus VHF HAM question

Post by W3AXL »

It's five steps really. 90% of CPS packages can be patched this way no problem.

1) Figure out the lowest frequency you can program. Typically it's ~146MHz
2) Convert this number first to Hz (eg 146000000) and then convert this number into Intel unsigned long hex format (you should get something like 1A 2B 3C 4D)
3) Determine what you want the new lower band edge to be. Convert this number the same way as above
4) Open your hex editor of choice, open the exe file for your CPS of choice, and do a find and replace, replacing the number in step 2 with the number in step 3
5) Don't forget to make a backup of your exe before you save the changes. Most hex editors will ask you to do this.

This is the process, AFAIK, for CPS packages from DOS all the way up to Astro25. TRBO and APX are a different story, with the latter unable to be taken out of band at all.

In regards to your AS+, be wary that you won't be able to do P25 out of band, as the radio is firmware limited to only modulate P25 within its rated bandsplit. Analog will work just fine. This is a "feature" specific only to the plus and it's unknown exactly why /\/\ did it.
radiocat37

Post by radiocat37 »

Thank you very much. I have done quite a few Kenwood and Vertex radios this way. I will try this and report back. Thank you

motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

W3AXL wrote:In regards to your AS+, be wary that you won't be able to do P25 out of band, as the radio is firmware limited to only modulate P25 within its rated bandsplit. Analog will work just fine. This is a "feature" specific only to the plus and it's unknown exactly why /\/\ did it.
The guys on P25.ca figured it out, but of course didn't share the howto (and it required secret squirrel software anyway.) The mod was the same as in non-Plus Astro Spectras, you just had to edit the unpacked codeplug to remove an artificial modulation limit.
radiocat37

Post by radiocat37 »

I am going to have to have a little more direction here. I convert 146000000 and get 8B3C880. Normally I add a leading zero to get 08B3C880. That gives me eight characters. If that is wrong then correct me. Also the only .exe file I see is the PatMob file. I am getting nothing in my hex-editor search.

W3AXL
What radios do you own?: an unhealthy amount of them

Post by W3AXL »

radiocat37 wrote:I am going to have to have a little more direction here. I convert 146000000 and get 8B3C880. Normally I add a leading zero to get 08B3C880. That gives me eight characters. If that is wrong then correct me. Also the only .exe file I see is the PatMob file. I am getting nothing in my hex-editor search.
Two things. First, your hex isn't correct. Make sure your converter is doing the conversion to intel byte order, and unsigned long as the data type. The correct hex for 146000000 is 80C8B308.

Second, you are correct that the PatMob file is the one you should be editing. Once you correct your conversion you should be able to find and replace with no problems.
motorola_otaku wrote:
W3AXL wrote:In regards to your AS+, be wary that you won't be able to do P25 out of band, as the radio is firmware limited to only modulate P25 within its rated bandsplit. Analog will work just fine. This is a "feature" specific only to the plus and it's unknown exactly why /\/\ did it.
The guys on P25.ca figured it out, but of course didn't share the howto (and it required secret squirrel software anyway.) The mod was the same as in non-Plus Astro Spectras, you just had to edit the unpacked codeplug to remove an artificial modulation limit.
The software is called Patriarch Flashzap. That's the extent of information I could get on the topic. As far as I'm aware that software has rarely even been talked about online, let alone shared. I brought it up with some local Moto shop guys and they'd never even heard of it. Odds are it's depot-level or even factory-leve stuff. How Mars was able to get ahold of it I don't know.
radiocat37

Post by radiocat37 »

I am happy to report my AS plus is now operating just fine on 145.190 Mt Mitchell NC and a few others. Thanks again!!!!!

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”