Page 1 of 1

APX8000

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:42 am
by wd9cms
Here is the Motorola link to the APX8000 and its specifications:

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_us/ ... -8000.html

Re: APX8000

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:50 am
by RFguy
Bad link....

Re: APX8000

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:21 am
by alex
RFguy wrote:Bad link....


Wow - I looked at it this morning and the link actually did work for a bit.

Re: APX8000

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:27 am
by N4DES

Re: APX8000

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:47 am
by RFguy
Highlights from the spec sheet:

APX 6000 design
All band (7/800MHz, VHF and UHF Range 1 & 2 bands.)
Analog with MDC 1200
Digital P25 mode
Smartnet
SmartZone
Wi-Fi access for codeplug, firmware and software updates
1 Watt Speaker

Re: APX8000

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:37 pm
by wd9cms
The link is correct and its back up....

Re: APX8000

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:04 am
by RFguy

Re: APX8000

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:37 am
by KE4ZNR
Image

Re: APX8000

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:38 am
by KE4ZNR
KS4VT wrote:It is being hosted here...

http://qsl.net/ke4znr/APX8000/APX8000-A ... asheet.pdf


That URL looks verrrry familiar 8) :lol:

Re: APX8000

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:56 am
by aagon
That is one good looking radio. Does anyone know how much it will cost once is released?

Re: APX8000

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:08 pm
by SSE5000ASTRO
just like apx6000 ! display is same as apx6000?

if it is ,bad news.

Re: APX8000

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:03 am
by KE4ZNR
SSE5000ASTRO wrote:just like apx6000 ! display is same as apx6000?

if it is ,bad news.


Display appears to be the same....major difference is that the 8000 has a 1 Watt speaker (which is a lot better than the anemic speaker on the 6000).
Marshall KE4ZNR

Re: APX8000

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:31 am
by SSE5000ASTRO
KE4ZNR wrote:
SSE5000ASTRO wrote:just like apx6000 ! display is same as apx6000?

if it is ,bad news.


Display appears to be the same....major difference is that the 8000 has a 1 Watt speaker (which is a lot better than the anemic speaker on the 6000).
Marshall KE4ZNR


make a apx8k just like APX7K ,why not?

Re: APX8000

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:28 am
by aagon
The 7000 is huge. I like the size of the 6000, i use it on a daily basis. I am glad they made it similar to the 6000. And in regards to the speaker, it can sure use the 1 watt. I dont use the shoulder mic and have to pay REALLY close attention.

Re: APX8000

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:38 am
by SSE5000ASTRO
aagon wrote:The 7000 is huge. I like the size of the 6000, i use it on a daily basis. I am glad they made it similar to the 6000. And in regards to the speaker, it can sure use the 1 watt. I dont use the shoulder mic and have to pay REALLY close attention.



but apx6k display is not clearly than apx7k's....

Re: APX8000

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:42 am
by sjxts3000
SSE5000ASTRO wrote:
aagon wrote:The 7000 is huge. I like the size of the 6000, i use it on a daily basis. I am glad they made it similar to the 6000. And in regards to the speaker, it can sure use the 1 watt. I dont use the shoulder mic and have to pay REALLY close attention.



but apx6k display is not clearly than apx7k's....


First, you don't know that... have you seen one in person and held it?
Second, maybe they enhanced the display resolution.... and if they didn't, who cares? I mean, how often do you look at the front display on the radio when it's on your belt? And even if it uses the same display at the 6000, it's not that bad... still easily legible.

Re: APX8000

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:46 am
by aagon
I have used both the 7000 and the 6000. I really never noticed the difference on the screen resolution. Again, the 6000 is my daily use radio and do not have any grouges with the screen.

Re: APX8000

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:09 pm
by resqguy911
Although some of the icons the radio is capable of showing are different, physically the 8000 display is identical to the 6000.

Re: APX8000

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:50 am
by SSE5000ASTRO
resqguy911 wrote:Although some of the icons the radio is capable of showing are different, physically the 8000 display is identical to the 6000.


wow.....bad news for me !

Re: APX8000

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:28 pm
by flyinace09
Anyone have a rough pricing for these when they come out?

I work as volunteer search and rescue - but in an area where MOUs are signed allowing use of VHF, UHF, and 800 - and this seems to be the "golden ticket" for those uses.

Also been trying to dig around - Motorola spent all this time making the APX8000 and hasn't thought about a mobile yet? I am starting to wonder...

Re: APX8000

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:11 pm
by resqguy911
flyinace09 wrote:Anyone have a rough pricing for these when they come out?

I work as volunteer search and rescue - but in an area where MOUs are signed allowing use of VHF, UHF, and 800 - and this seems to be the "golden ticket" for those uses.

Also been trying to dig around - Motorola spent all this time making the APX8000 and hasn't thought about a mobile yet? I am starting to wonder...


A loaded 8000 M3.5 has been quoted at over $9,000 for us. Including discounts.

They thought about a mobile. The official word is It's called the dual-radio APX7500 V/U1-U2/7/8 with an O7 head.

Re: APX8000

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:47 pm
by flyinace09
resqguy911 wrote:
flyinace09 wrote:Anyone have a rough pricing for these when they come out?

I work as volunteer search and rescue - but in an area where MOUs are signed allowing use of VHF, UHF, and 800 - and this seems to be the "golden ticket" for those uses.

Also been trying to dig around - Motorola spent all this time making the APX8000 and hasn't thought about a mobile yet? I am starting to wonder...


A loaded 8000 M3.5 has been quoted at over $9,000 for us. Including discounts.

They thought about a mobile. The official word is It's called the dual-radio APX7500 V/U1-U2/7/8 with an O7 head.


Just when I thought Mother M couldn't get any worse with their pricing...

And the APX7500 dual radio with O7 head is still a weak solution considering Harris has their "all band" mobile as a single unit and head.

Re: APX8000

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:10 pm
by d119
We'll never see this radio as a "standard issue" patrol portable in anything but the most funded departments.

Keep in mind that along with the radio needs to come the knowledge on how to use it's features, and your average street cop / firefighter is clueless how to do anything other than change channels within the first zone, turn it off, turn it on, and talk on it.

I think you'll see these used as cache radios and command post type things, with perhaps 1 on each fire rig, and perhaps issue to ranking officers who've received training.

But I for one would scream bloody murder if I found my tax dollars being flushed on these things for every officer. Forget it.

Curious what a single band config on the thing costs compared to an APX6000... It may be that the things are the "universal" public safety solution, and that when activated with one band only and a "standard" feature set, they are comparable to a 6000. Turn on what you need.

APX8000

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:23 am
by Jim1348
Sadly, I have to agree with you on this one. I have been a cop-type for about 35 years. I retired from local service and now work for a quasi-federal agency. We have both MOTO TRBO for day-to-day operations and access to a digital, trunked system for some things. I do the training. My fellow officers get the whole OFF-ON volume. They know how to change channels with a zone. However, as soon as I start talking about channels (talkgroups) from a different zone, I lose them. Their eyes glaze over and they tune out. In all fairness,a few have shown interest in how to select channels for a scan list, but most don't even want to scan! They simply want to select whatever channel or talkgroup they need and not hear anything else. I try to preach the "officer safety through situational awareness of monitoring other radio traffic" sermon, but it is a tough sell.

Re: APX8000

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:12 pm
by escomm
I hear the California Highway Patrol is due to take delivery on their first batch of an overall order of 4,000+ units in the next couple months. D119 you may want to write your Congressman. XD

Re: APX8000

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:21 pm
by sjxts3000
escomm wrote:I hear the California Highway Patrol is due to take delivery on their first batch of an overall order of 4,000+ units in the next couple months. D119 you may want to write your Congressman. XD

Holy $36M dollars, Batman!

Re: APX8000

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:42 pm
by PropellorHead
I just received a quote for a couple APX 8000XE's + VHF and UHF bands enabled and it prices around $4,000 after discounts. This puts it +/- few hundred dollars to the dual band APX 7000XE's we had already spec'd out. Granted, GPS and WiFi are extra and not included on this quote. Battery is now included with the 8k, which was an additional $75 purchase on the 7k's.

Even at full list, they're nowhere near $9,000.

Re: APX8000

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:40 pm
by N4DES
LACityFD wrote:I just received a quote for a couple APX 8000XE's + VHF and UHF bands enabled and it prices around $4,000 after discounts. This puts it +/- few hundred dollars to the dual band APX 7000XE's we had already spec'd out. Granted, GPS and WiFi are extra and not included on this quote. Battery is now included with the 8k, which was an additional $75 purchase on the 7k's.

Even at full list, they're nowhere near $9,000.


That is great news but my question is are all of the bands turned on? VHF through 800?

Re: APX8000

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:26 pm
by PropellorHead
All the bands are turned on by default. They then subtract approx $700-$800 per band you don't want. The bands available are 7/800, VHF and UHF R1/2 and they're looking at that as "4 bands." However, you can't just have UHF R1 or R2, it's all or nothing for UHF.

Basically, if you got the radio with all bands enabled, it's around $6,000 not counting any percentage discounts your dealer may be able to apply. It's ridiculously expensive when you consider it's just an HT, but not bad as Moto gear goes.

Re: APX8000

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:07 am
by alex
They are cancelling the APX7000's and not taking new orders from what I hear. If you have an open order for a 7K it may be filled as a dual band 8k at the same price. The dual band 8k is going to drop in price to around where the 7000 sold at. Sadly the 7K form factor may not exist much longer... The display was certainly nicer.

Re: APX8000

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:59 am
by sjxts3000
alex wrote:They are cancelling the APX7000's and not taking new orders from what I hear. If you have an open order for a 7K it may be filled as a dual band 8k at the same price. The dual band 8k is going to drop in price to around where the 7000 sold at. Sadly the 7K form factor may not exist much longer... The display was certainly nicer.


Yes, it certain is indeed a better display. But I do like the smaller form factor of the 6000/8000. And since the 8000 now has the 1 watt speaker, I'm sold on it...just not the price! I guess if a dual-band band unit is the same at the 7000 dual band, then I might be interested.

Re: APX8000

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:38 am
by escomm
PropellorHead wrote:Basically, if you got the radio with all bands enabled, it's around $6,000 not counting any percentage discounts your dealer may be able to apply. It's ridiculously expensive when you consider it's just an HT, but not bad as Moto gear goes.

Not quite. The main line on the radio for a model 3.5 is $6109 and you still have to buy the mandatory software options. That means at least another $800 for H35 conventional or $1500 for H38 Smartzone, $515 for P25 conventional, though they were nice enough to no-charge Q241 Analog Only.

The absolute cheapest list price radio is $6909 and that does not even come with a charger.

Re: APX8000

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:39 pm
by PropellorHead
escomm wrote:
PropellorHead wrote:Basically, if you got the radio with all bands enabled, it's around $6,000 not counting any percentage discounts your dealer may be able to apply. It's ridiculously expensive when you consider it's just an HT, but not bad as Moto gear goes.

Not quite. The main line on the radio for a model 3.5 is $6109 and you still have to buy the mandatory software options. That means at least another $800 for H35 conventional or $1500 for H38 Smartzone, $515 for P25 conventional, though they were nice enough to no-charge Q241 Analog Only.

The absolute cheapest list price radio is $6909 and that does not even come with a charger.


You're right...I forgot to consider that Moto charges to use the radio with conventional and the other operations you'll need to invariably add. Not only that, but my original quote for 7k's already included the ruggedized housing, where as now you have to add it (like the 6k). The magic number for features seems to be $800.

- APX 8000 Model 3.5 (all bands): $5,959
- DEL: 7/800 band: -$800.00
- ADD: Analog operation: FREE! Yippee!
- ADD: Conventional operation: $800.00
- ENG: Ruggedized housing: $800.00
- ALT: Green housing: $25.00
- ADD: Front Panel Programming: $150.00

Oh but the good news is, they throw in the battery now too!