APX6500/7500 O7 Head Issue

Covering the following Subscriber devices: APX1000/1500, APX3000, APX4000/4500, APX6000, APX6000XE, APX6500, APX7000, APX7000XE, APX7000L, APX7500, and APX8000.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mhodgson

APX6500/7500 O7 Head Issue

Post by mhodgson »

Ok....for the more intelligent than me folks....

I have recently replaced my APX O5 heads with O7's.

Radio #1 is an APX6500 current FW and has Siren/PA. Removed DEK, reprogrammed radio for O7 head functions. Multi-Function knob is Volume Primary (selectable) and Channel Selector Secondary (grayed out so cannot change). Everything seems to work just fine EXCEPT...when you depress multi-function knob, the radio goes into emergency mode...orange bar appears across display and radio does indeed transmit emergency activation to MCC-7500....

Radio #2 is an APX7500 current FW with no siren or DEK. Same reprogramming was done, no cloning of other radios to it, etc. Multi Function know does NOTHING when depressed...so at least no errant emergency activation...but otherwise no channel select....

Any brilliance (or pointing out my stupidity) is welcome and appreciated.

Also, one other item I noticed....is that radio reprogramming no longer functions through the control head GCAI connector...I assume that is the way its supposed to work.

Mike
Code3
Batboard $upporter

Re: APX6500/7500 O7 Head Issue

Post by Code3 »

Sounds like you are not using the CPS in Expert View. View Menu -> Codeplug View (Expert)

Under (Radio Ergonomics Configurations -> Controls -> O7 Head) you will see MFK Press behaviour. The only two options are Emergency, and Rotary Feature Select. The secondary function, channel select is grayed out when set to emergency.

I can't speak to your not being able to program the radio from the head.

Hope that helps

C3
mhodgson

Post by mhodgson »

Thank you, indeed this was the problem. Still not able to read or write from the head, cant keyload either...have to go to the transceiver GCAI so if anyone has any ideas on that, love to hear what is wrong there as well.

Mike
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

To keyload through the head you have to provision it with the KVL first. I've done it with a 4000 but not a 3000 Plus so YMMV.

1.) From the main menu go to"Settings" then "Control head keys." Auto-generate or manually enter a SEK and a KEK. Obviously these need to be the same across every radio you intend to do this with.
2.) Connect to the TIB with the regular GCAI keyload cable and go to "Configure a radio." Option 6 is "Provision radio for control head key loading." Load the keys and return to the main menu.
3.) Now using the DB9 to GCAI cable, load keys normally through the mic jack on the remote head. This is the same cable used for loading trunking authentication keys, which can also be loaded through the head after completing this procedure. And if you don't use authentication, no problem, it's just an XTL serial programming cable with a gender changer.

No idea why programming through the mic jack won't work. If there's another issue going on it might affect keyloading as well.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

motorola_otaku wrote:To keyload through the head you have to provision it with the KVL first. I've done it with a 4000 but not a 3000 Plus so YMMV.

1.) From the main menu go to"Settings" then "Control head keys." Auto-generate or manually enter a SEK and a KEK. Obviously these need to be the same across every radio you intend to do this with.
2.) Connect to the TIB with the regular GCAI keyload cable and go to "Configure a radio." Option 6 is "Provision radio for control head key loading." Load the keys and return to the main menu.
3.) Now using the DB9 to GCAI cable, load keys normally through the mic jack on the remote head. This is the same cable used for loading trunking authentication keys, which can also be loaded through the head after completing this procedure. And if you don't use authentication, no problem, it's just an XTL serial programming cable with a gender changer.

No idea why programming through the mic jack won't work. If there's another issue going on it might affect keyloading as well.
Is this just for the 07 head, or? I've keyloaded plenty of APX 05 remote head radios right from factory, never had to do anything special like this for them.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Both when remote-mounted. Motorola treats the connection between the remote head and the deck as an "unsecure connection" and subsequently encrypts the keyfill as it travels between the head and the deck.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

motorola_otaku wrote:Both when remote-mounted. Motorola treats the connection between the remote head and the deck as an "unsecure connection" and subsequently encrypts the keyfill as it travels between the head and the deck.
Now that you say that, I'm recalling that yes, on the remote units, we've keyloaded at the transceiver. I'll have to play around with doing it from the control head...would make it much more convenient in most cases! Thanks for the learnin'.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “APX Series Subscribers”