APX Rumors - Need Answers?

Covering the following Subscriber devices: APX1000/1500, APX3000, APX4000/4500, APX6000, APX6000XE, APX6500, APX7000, APX7000XE, APX7000L, APX7500, and APX8000.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kc0arx
New User

APX Rumors - Need Answers?

Post by kc0arx »

So I have a group of friends that have recently gotten me into Motorola heavily being a ham using them for events. I have heard many rumors from a couple of them and I need some answers before I purchase one.

1) Is it true that in order to get a CPS for APX7000 or 8000 radios you need to be a government organization?

2) Some have said that APX CPS is a free download, is this true?

3) How do you get a APX CPS?

4) APX7000 is not allowed to be owned by persons and as a result if you get one when you connect it to a CPS if they see it is not an agency they will brick the radio. True?

5) Everyone says that you should not purchase radios from eBay, is there a way to ensure that you are getting a solid radio?

As a ham I want a dual band Motorola and trying to figure out how to do it.

Thanks everyone! I know that the questions seem out there. And I have to guess that some are wrong and that is why I am taking it to the forums.
cadpattact
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 XTS2500 XTS3000

Re: APX Rumors - Need Answers?

Post by cadpattact »

1) As far as I know you need to have a government /agency account, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
2/3) A legitimate copy of CPS must be purchased through MOL
4) Many individuals use APX CPS to program their radios, but I wouldn't go telling Motorola that you're using it unless it's a legitimate copy of CPS.
5) To each their own. I personally would never buy an APX radio off eBay. Dropping that kind of coin on a radio I would only purchase from a reputable person who can verify the radio's history (not stolen, ALT, parts hack job etc)
d119

Re: APX Rumors - Need Answers?

Post by d119 »

kc0arx wrote:So I have a group of friends that have recently gotten me into Motorola heavily being a ham using them for events. I have heard many rumors from a couple of them and I need some answers before I purchase one.

1) Is it true that in order to get a CPS for APX7000 or 8000 radios you need to be a government organization?

>> No.

2) Some have said that APX CPS is a free download, is this true?

>> No.

3) How do you get a APX CPS?

>> By signing a license agreement with Motorola, paying the cost of the software, and downloading it from an enabled Motorola Online (businessonline.motorolasolutions.com) account.

4) APX7000 is not allowed to be owned by persons and as a result if you get one when you connect it to a CPS if they see it is not an agency they will brick the radio. True?

>> Total BS. There are no restrictions on the equipment. I bought my APX 7000 from Motorola directly as an individual and had no issues whatsoever buying it. Anyone can own one. The only remote possibility is that if you program the thing illegally onto a trunked system, THEN you may end up with a bricked radio when the system manager shuts it off.

5) Everyone says that you should not purchase radios from eBay, is there a way to ensure that you are getting a solid radio?

>> True and not true. You have to do your homework both on the seller and the equipment.

As a ham I want a dual band Motorola and trying to figure out how to do it.

Thanks everyone! I know that the questions seem out there. And I have to guess that some are wrong and that is why I am taking it to the forums.

Return to “APX Series Subscribers”