APX8000XE + XE RSM Speaker Mics

Covering the following Subscriber devices: APX1000/1500, APX3000, APX4000/4500, APX6000, APX6000XE, APX6500, APX7000, APX7000XE, APX7000L, APX7500, and APX8000.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

PropellorHead
was LACityFD
What radios do you own?: XTS 5000 to Mocom

APX8000XE + XE RSM Speaker Mics

Post by PropellorHead »

I'm having an issue at my department with a few APX8000XE's and the XE RSM speaker mics we use. Based on the notes others have provided, these are Gen 3 (water drain ports by e-trigger) speaker mics.

With a couple of my radios, keying the RSM results in the radio transmitting but the sound is a loud white noise (not quite static). The user's voice can't be heard. However, the radio keys up, sends the MDC ID and just sends white noise audio. I've tried cleaning the radio contacts, etc. I've done every combination of mics, radios, etc. It always circles back to the radio.

Any ideas? Software issues? Should I just send them out for service? Running latest firmware (19.15?).

Thanks for any help you guys can offer! We've had these mic issues on a few structure fires and now guys are starting to grumble.
Karl NVW

Re: APX8000XE + XE RSM Speaker Mics

Post by Karl NVW »

First let's confirm: Does the 'noise on transmit, no voice' issue follow the radio or stay with the specific RSM unit?

If it follows the radio, those radios might have been programmed for default or locked encrypted transmit (probably ADP) instead of clear voice on that specific talk group. That is done fairly often for command staff radios, especially when using law enforcement tactical TGs like SWAT.

The Coded/Clear switch may still be programmed to allow selection of clear voice transmit. Give it a try. It will probably reset back to coded Tx whenever the user selects that TG.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
PropellorHead
was LACityFD

Post by PropellorHead »

The issue follows the radio, only with the RSM. I can use the radio just fine without the mic. I can even use the radio perfect with the mic attached if I'm just using the radio's PTT. I can hear the audio perfectly through the RSM. However, when I transmit through the RSM, other radios only hear white noise and not my voice.

I've done every combination of radio/RSM. All RSM's work on the five other radios I've tested with. However, with this radio, the RSM has issues.

I should also note, this is on every channel and the radio is being used on conventional/analog -- no digital.

The radios are all using the same exact codeplug as normally operating radios. Same codeplug just gets cloned.

We use the clear/coded switch for TA enable/disable.
PropellorHead
was LACityFD

Post by PropellorHead »

UPDATE:
So our dealer sent the radios out to Motorola for repair. The repair notes said that 7 of 12 contacts had corrosion. They did a case swap and the problem has been corrected.

However, this problem seems to be rampant across a ton of our radios, even those that don't see IDLH conditions on the regular, like radios assigned to battalion chiefs and engineers.

Here are two photos of two separate radios showing the same issues (in addition to the radio that has already been repaired).

sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

A case swap doesn't include the side connector. That can only best be achieved by a complete chassis swap in which case they would have to print all new tags for the radios. Make sure they're doing that.
If you're getting corrosion on the side connector contacts, check that the RSM is being properly attached and the gasket is sealing firmly. Be careful not to cross-thread the accessory screw hole... otherwise back to the Depot it goes for a complete chassis swap.
PropellorHead
was LACityFD

Post by PropellorHead »

Sorry, I think I was using the terms interchangeably. It was a chassis swap, with new (same #) tags.
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

It’s very common when removing the RSM and using the radio without it that most people never use the side accessory cover, thereby exposing it to corrosion.
PropellorHead
was LACityFD

Post by PropellorHead »

I understand the proper procedure of keeping the contacts covered when not in use. However, we're talking about a super rugged $7,000 radio being placed in the hands of firefighters. I have radios not even a year old, developing corrosion.

In contrast, I personally have 20-year-old MT/HT's, Sabers and a couple of XTS's that I don't think ever had a contact cover used and their contacts look and work great still.

What's the deal? Is it just cheaper quality? You can't make this ultra-rugged, ridiculously expensive radio and then tell me it has a failure point on the contacts not being covered 24/7. These radios aren't being placed in extreme conditions that often. I understand that best practices are to either have a cover on the contacts of the mic installed. I just have a really hard time believing that through the course of the year, if you don't do that every single day, the radio will start to malfunction.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

sjxts3000 wrote:It’s very common when removing the RSM and using the radio without it that most people never use the side accessory cover, thereby exposing it to corrosion.
Gold doesn't corrode..........
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

PropellorHead wrote:I understand the proper procedure of keeping the contacts covered when not in use. However, we're talking about a super rugged $7,000 radio being placed in the hands of firefighters. I have radios not even a year old, developing corrosion.

In contrast, I personally have 20-year-old MT/HT's, Sabers and a couple of XTS's that I don't think ever had a contact cover used and their contacts look and work great still.

What's the deal? Is it just cheaper quality? You can't make this ultra-rugged, ridiculously expensive radio and then tell me it has a failure point on the contacts not being covered 24/7. These radios aren't being placed in extreme conditions that often. I understand that best practices are to either have a cover on the contacts of the mic installed. I just have a really hard time believing that through the course of the year, if you don't do that every single day, the radio will start to malfunction.
You should be having that discussion with Motorola (or your dealer, perhaps?). If you have issues with your department radios which are under warranty, then do as you have been...send them back in for warranty repair. if you continue to have the same problems, then keep alerting Motorola as to the nature. It doesn't sound like anyone else here who has read this thread has piped up (yet), so its most likely not a widespread issue.

I've not heard of any of these issues from others to date (that's not to say the issue doesn't exist, just that I haven't heard of anyone else post about it). I'd be curious to know if anyone with APX6000XE or APX7000XE radios have the same issues. Perhaps it's just an 8000XE issue?

And if what escomm says is true (I wasn't aware those are gold or gold-plated contacts), then there's some kind of soot,smoke,particulate ingress which points to the XE RSM connector seal. Either it's not being seated all the way, or you have a bad batch of XE RSMs.
Mopar078

Post by Mopar078 »

I have had this problem with about 20 or so APX6000XE and APX7000XE AN portables, along with a neighboring city which has 6000XE BN's. I'd open a case with Motorola and hopefully your radios are under warranty. I don't think the black on the connector is caused by water as we've had about 10 radios end up destroyed from salt water and the connectors didn't end up black. I think it's somehow cause by the current going through the connector as we've only seen them on the XE portables which use XE mics. I tried to attach 2 pics but I can't get them to show up, should be able to click on the links. https://ibb.co/MBsdDMM https://ibb.co/hcmV2n5
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

This problem dates back to the first APX radios, XE or not doesn't matter. We tracked it down to not just moisture, but high-salinity liquid such as sweat will accelerate the problem. A certain group of firefighters would take the RSM off, and grab just the radio to go running during morning PT- then put the RSM back on for duty. These radios in particular exhibited the condition most frequently. Radios that never have the dust cover or RSM removed do not seem to be affected at all. Every one has been repaired under warranty, or service contract, or RSA without questions.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
PropellorHead
was LACityFD

Post by PropellorHead »

That’s really interesting because our guys do take them running or into the gym. I’ve also noticed, the bottom of the cases beginning to corrode as well. The bottom, down towards where it seats against the battery.

Return to “APX Series Subscribers”