Monitor II battery delete in charger. . . .

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Forum rules
Share your enhancements here! What is not permitted is the discussion regarding adding features (aka flash options) which you can still purchase from Motorola for current subscriber products including discussion regarding Depot on current products.
KC9MDQ
What radios do you own?: Motorola,Vertex, Kenwood

Monitor II battery delete in charger. . . .

Post by KC9MDQ »

Let me start off with the fact that if this should be in the paging section, I apologize in advance.

I have a Monitor II that I'd like to keep in the bedroom as a monitor. I have the drop in charger. Is it possible to modify one of these pagers to bypass the need for a battery and run directly off of the charger so I wouldn't need a battery? You know, just leave it in the charger all the time? I have a Min V as my issued pager, but the damned thing emits a constant high frequency whine when charging. My workaround is the old pager. I'm willing to buy an amplified charger for the Min II if that will make the project feasible.

Can anyone advise if this is do-able?

Thanks.
Powered by Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
tuckerm

Re: Monitor II battery delete in charger. . . .

Post by tuckerm »

I just leave the batteries in mine. I have an old Min 4 doing this now. It's been "monitoring" for about five years now with no issues.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
KC9MDQ
What radios do you own?: Motorola,Vertex, Kenwood

Re: Monitor II battery delete in charger. . . .

Post by KC9MDQ »

My concern is overcharge and leaking/explosion of the battery. The wall wart is non-OEM and while it powers/charges just fine, I don't think it steps down the juice.

Unless the factory ones were the same, and then I'll just do what you do.