2012 Ford Explorer

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fineshot1

2012 Ford Explorer

Post by fineshot1 »

Anyone have any experience with nmo roof mount antennas with a recent model (2010,2011, 2012) Explorer?

The air bags go all the way from the front to all the way back even though there are no seats in the back.

I can drill and install the nmo mounts but am concerned about the antenna cable routing interfering
with the air bag deployment. I can not seem to find any reasonable area to route the cables through.

I can not remove the head liner due to a Havis dog cage being installed in the back seat area which
makes it very difficult for me to even peak above the head liner although I have managed to do that.

I also had a devil of a time getting the power cables through the fire wall - took me all day for two
cables.
fineshot1
NJ USA
techtonics

Re: 2012 Ford Explorer

Post by techtonics »

Depending upon where you mounted your antenna I would recommend going down the A-pillar, close to the windshield, and go underneath the airbag itself. That should not interfere with the airbag deployment.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Follow the factory cables as much as possible. The A pillar is the best way as mentioned
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

techtonics wrote:Depending upon where you mounted your antenna I would recommend going down the A-pillar, close to the windshield, and go underneath the airbag itself. That should not interfere with the airbag deployment.
Thanks for the response.

I am aware of the A piller path however that is not an option. The radio chassis will be mounted
on top of the dog cage in the mid area of the vehicle and the control head up front. The antenna
will also be in the roof mid veh area or the rear depending on how much of the head liner i can
peak under from the rear of the vehicle. The mid and rear vehicle areas are all that i can possibly
see anything(and not much) above the head liner. I am most probably going to have to come down
the D piller and back toward the center of the vehicle. Also - from some previously mounted emergency
light equipment there is no room available under the A pillers(either of them).
fineshot1
NJ USA
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

ok - it worked out well going all the way back to the D pillars although
installing a remote head mount XTL2500 was a real PITA for this vehicle.
The radio chassis got installed on top of the back seat area dog cage
and the head up front bolted to one of the overhead emergency light
fixtures. All tested out well.

I also installed an extra power cord and nmo antenna mount for a future
radio to get installed since i did not want to take apart this vehicle all
over again.

I have pics from my cell phone camera but they are not that great if
anyone is interested, just pm me with your email address as i can not
host them.
fineshot1
NJ USA
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Wow. Looks like you need to make that a quick install to strip. If that thing gets into an accident, you're looking at almost being totalled just in the cost of replacing airbags...
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

SlimBob wrote:Wow. Looks like you need to make that a quick install to strip. If that thing gets into an accident, you're looking at almost being totalled just in the cost of replacing airbags...
I think that's why they call the Exploders!
fineshot1
NJ USA

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”