NMO mount with longer RG58

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

arlojanis

NMO mount with longer RG58

Post by arlojanis »

What is a brand and part number for a NMO mount with more than 17 feet of cable attached?
"The world runs on radio."
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: NMO mount with longer RG58

Post by FireCpt809 »

Comtelco makes a 20ft cable. You can also ask them to make a custom lenght.
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Post by kb4mdz »

I'm not in front of my usual references, but I've seen places where you can get JUST the NMO mount, and add your own cable to it. Probably for something like call boxes, where you only need 18 inches of cable. So, you could get one & add whatever length RG58 you want.

OK, just looked. Tessco has PCTEL/Maxrad mount with 30 ft. cable... And they have the brass mounts with no cable at all...
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

arlojanis wrote:What is a brand and part number for a NMO mount with more than 17 feet of cable attached?

In all my years of doing installs in most vehicles, I have never run into the problem of needing a longer cable. Careful planning on antenna placement and cable runs has always allowed the standard length to provide more than enough cable.

Why is your install that much different?

Jim
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

The standard 17ft NMO cable is way too short when using dash mount radios in most SUV's even the crown vic's with the antennas on the trunk. . We stock 20's and even afew 25's for that reason. Its better to have too much than to try to banjo string it across the floor mats and then have no room to remove the radio from the console for service. I cut it to length and then leave about a foot for service.
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Post by radioinstl »

FireCpt809 wrote:The standard 17ft NMO cable is way too short when using dash mount radios in most SUV's even the crown vic's with the antennas on the trunk. . We stock 20's and even afew 25's for that reason. Its better to have too much than to try to banjo string it across the floor mats and then have no room to remove the radio from the console for service. I cut it to length and then leave about a foot for service.
I'll second that. In our area were some fire dept. have Suburbans with 8 antennas on the roof and a front light bar, you need all you can get. Depending where the equipment is it can be a long run. If you space your antennas and many of the cables have to go to the console, 17 is not going to make it.
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

radioinstl wrote:
FireCpt809 wrote:The standard 17ft NMO cable is way too short when using dash mount radios in most SUV's even the crown vic's with the antennas on the trunk. . We stock 20's and even afew 25's for that reason. Its better to have too much than to try to banjo string it across the floor mats and then have no room to remove the radio from the console for service. I cut it to length and then leave about a foot for service.
I'll second that. In our area were some fire dept. have Suburbans with 8 antennas on the roof and a front light bar, you need all you can get. Depending where the equipment is it can be a long run. If you space your antennas and many of the cables have to go to the console, 17 is not going to make it.
Agreed, just finished one with three antennas.

For the OP, here you go:

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayP ... ventPage=1

And these are just from the first page from TESSCO: http://www.tessco.com/products/displayP ... groupId=10
BENWSI
New User
What radios do you own?: CDM 750 in my truck

Post by BENWSI »

The Motorola part # we use is: 0180300B05

I believe it is approx. 22 ft.
It comes with a BNC connector, but it is a VERY reasonably priced coax kit and we just substitute it for the (usually) mini-U.
In the Tennessee hill country
tdats
What radios do you own?: Mostly Motorola

Post by tdats »

I just finished an install in a Tahoe. For the antenna all the way in the back, I un-soldered the wire that was on the NMO and soldered a longer one on. It was pretty easy to make the swap. I have no idea what model of NMO mounts I had for the project though, they where re-used from another vehicle, but most of the ones I have run across are not that hard to put a new wire on if you have it.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”