GE Orion Install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

lafd55
What radios do you own?: GE Orion, HT1250, BCD396T

GE Orion Install

Post by lafd55 »

I know this is a /\/\ Fourm, but I am getting my hands on a GE Orion w/ Remote Head and have never dealt with them before. I am mainly looking for help regarding power installation(battery, fuses, grounds, etc). Also does anyone have them? What are your Pros and Cons about the radio. By the way, it is going to be installed in a '13 Explorer (Civilian)
"Pagers"
VE3HKB
New User

Re: GE Orion Install

Post by VE3HKB »

The Orion and the newer M7100s are actually pretty nice radios and fairly easy to install. The control head is a bit bigger than the typical M equivalent, and if you have the System model you can program buttons for many options.
My work radio is a remote mount M7100 (same control head), with all of the backlighting LEDs changed to M green.

Unfortuneately, all of the '13 Explorers I've seen are the Police Intercepter Utility, and not the Civilian versions.

First, arm yourself with two manuals:
Search around for a document named "LBI-38901" - that's the Orion installation manual. The latest is REV W, but for basic installs any version will do.
Also search for the 2013 Sedan and Utility Police Interceptor Modifiers Guide (Upfit Guide) on the www.fleet.ford.com website. You'll find most of the vehicle documentation there - keep in mind that the diagrams are specific to the interceptor depending on options, and not all information is directly applicable to the civilian model (not everyone orders theirs prewired for lights and siren).

Basically, for electrical connections (Remote mount), your ground will be short, to the frame.
For 50W or lower RF power, any supply point rated for 20A will do. For 60-110W you are going to a battery feed point with a 30A fuse. Radio can be set to turn on whenever power is available on the main connector, or with optional ignition sense (SW601 on logic PCB).

Overall it's a pretty nice radio, albeit an older model.
Some of the features and options may not be simple to implement, requiring unique cables, programming or both.
Howard
lafd55

Post by lafd55 »

Thanks for the input, yea, I hear the Explorers are a pain but I'm sure to take my time to do it right. I fell in love with them because our State Police uses them and the newer Harris variant. I probably won't do the work until warmer weather but definitely trying to get all my bases covered. Because I'm used to /\/\ equipment this is really untouched territory.
"Pagers"
mike m

Post by mike m »

excellent radios, I have them for low band, vhf hi and 220mhz. Either remote mount in all low band models or remote/front mount in other versions.
you can have a serial db-9 connection hanging off the main cable for windows pc programming with the correct cable bundle.

Just follow basic rules, direct battery connection with all lines fused and things will go fine.
You can actually scan 64 channels with really fast dual priority scan and the orions have lots of menu features such as variable squelch control, instant channel selection from the keypad, either 5 fast memory keys with a basic ctrl head and/or direct channel selection with the full feature ctrl head.

A very nice noise blanker that works in all low band models, scan channel lockout, numerous power up and display options, sometimes just like Motorola radios I find the programming items overwhelming.

One item I wish they had was selectable ctcss, the radio has enough banks and channels to have all repeater frequencies for a desired ham band but no selectable ctcss is the only negative I have.
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Does it support a multiple radio environment with a single HHCH?
lafd55

Post by lafd55 »

Yes, with the proper programming and Dual radio cable.
"Pagers"

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”