MCS2000 power connection issue

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rubberkidney
New User

MCS2000 power connection issue

Post by rubberkidney »

Hello! I just got a mcs2000 radio and im trying to set it up but unfortunatly the power cable has been cut. I am pretty much a radio newb and i wanted to power the unit on before i install it but i really have no idea how to do that! do i need a specific powersupply or is there some other method I can use? Thanks for any help in advance!
jmccabe871
New User

Re: MCS2000 power connection issue

Post by jmccabe871 »

You'll need a 12 Volt (13.8 technically) power supply to run the radio. If you want to test the transmitter you will need a power supply that can give it 20+ Amps (higher the wattage on the RF output the more amps needed) but to just power it on a simple 5 amp bench power supply will do. Also some moto radios have an ignition sense (similar to a car stereo) wire that you must connect to positive to get the radio to power up, you will want to check that if you connect the radio and the thing does not power up. I myself just put a MCS2000 110 W VHF into my van and my radio did not require the ignition sense wire but yours might. Hope this helps.
-Jmccabe871
HAM since 2014 General Class
" If it ain't busted, I haven't tried fixing it yet"

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”