Low Profile antenna installation

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

VE3TUH
What radios do you own?: more than I should...

Low Profile antenna installation

Post by VE3TUH »

Hi. Anybody have any experience with a good vhf low profile antenna for a fiberglass installation? I am looking to put one on a snow groomer with a winch on the back, the winch spins pretty close over the roof of the cab. I did some googling, one I came up with for transit applications wants a 1 5/8' hole drilled into the roof of the cab, which seems a bit excessive. I have no experience with this type of antenna and would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thanks!
fineshot1

Re: Low Profile antenna installation

Post by fineshot1 »

many of these vhf low profile antennas on a fiberglass roof require a ground plane under the installation area
in order for the antenna to radiate properly. before you start any work read the installation doc as this should
be pointed out in this doc. I have seen some of them that are tunable that no ground plane was required.
fineshot1
NJ USA

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”