Whelen Pinouts

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

motorolamonster911

Whelen Pinouts

Post by motorolamonster911 »

I am installing an old Whelen WS-295. It is black and has Wail, Yelp, Hi-Low, Man, Radio and PA capabilites. I dont have factory wiring harness nor wiring diagram. I figured out the (+) and the (-). What are the rest?
:(

Thanks!

Nick
MotorolaMonster911

"If at first you don't succeed, read the manual" - Montgomery's Maxim
"The trouble with resisting temptation is it may never come your way again." (E-bay Scenario) - Somebody
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Go to http://www.whelen.com and they have a section that has all of there wiring diagrams in PDF format for download and print.....Good Luck
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

You won't find a diagram for that on the website. Very old. I used to have one but I can not for the life of me remeber the pinout.

Try calling (860) 526-9504 and press the option for customer service. Thay have diagrams for even the oldest stuff on file.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
copcarguy

here you go..

Post by copcarguy »

whelen ws-295-53

Black-ground
red +positive 14 vdc
white aux to siren horn ring (hit the horn ring and siren turns on)
blue (2) 2-way radio speaker (for radio re-broadcast)
brown (2) to siren speaker

switch inside unit for selection of 100 or 58 watt speaker :D
motorolamonster911

Post by motorolamonster911 »

Thanks guys, I found out where they were.

Almost everytime I see one of these being sold, there is an Airhorn feature advertised too. Is this one capable? I havent tested the manual button on other settings so I'm not sure, can anyone help?

-Nick
MotorolaMonster911

"If at first you don't succeed, read the manual" - Montgomery's Maxim
"The trouble with resisting temptation is it may never come your way again." (E-bay Scenario) - Somebody
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

If that thing is black with little pictures to show the tone, then yes, it has airhorn. You have to put it on the PA setting for the airhorn to work. The horn-ring or manual button will make the airhorn sound.

Also, remember the tones on that are "old-school" tones. They are much lower pitched and have a slower rise & fall that the current Whelen sirens. The airhorn is also a very low pitched. Using the horn ring as far as know will not turn the siren on & off like the new Hands-Free mode stuff. This is what it does:

In PA Mode: Air Horn
In Manual Mode: Manual (duh)
In Wail Mode: Switches between wail & yelp
In Yelp Mode: Airhorn
In Hi-Lo Mode: Airhorn
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I always liked the old school Whelen tones....do we know why they changed it? I noticed on some of the new sirens, they brought back the old manual wail setup....when you let go of the MAN button, the siren winds back down and not right off like most of them now.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

The ramp up & stop is what most of the ones without a million bells and whistles do. The more advanced ones can do both. I personally like the newer sounds more than the old ones. I also like the option to use ramp-stop when I don't want to make constant noise. Just a few quick whoop whoops is nice sometimes

The HFSa1 and HFS6 has the seperate manual and airhorn buttons So when on PA mode, the manual button will ramp up and ramp down. In regular manual mode, it is Ramp-Stop.

The alpha sirens also have a dip-switch to set ramp-stop or ramp up and down.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Pj

Post by Pj »

I'll take the old WS224 with the lo-pro anyday...They just had a nice wide sounds...especially when the low note on the high/lo hit....that made you see all the air particules in the car vibrate.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
x1sspic
What radios do you own?: AstroSpectra XTS3K XTS5K APX7K

Post by x1sspic »

haven't had the good fortune of hearing the older whelen sounds, but I do enjoy the new style ones. I especially enjoy making extremely brief and rapid whoop-whoop-whoops :lol:. Not to mention that when using a creative flair, one can create some interesting sound combinations 8)
Robert HT220
What radios do you own?: JT1K VHF, MT1K VHF/UHF/800C

Post by Robert HT220 »

I like the older ones, too. I have an older FedSig one outside in the garage, I forgot the model, I'd have to dig it up. I also like the old motordriven wailing sirens, pretty cool old sirens. The Federal model Q's go real expensive, especially if you find one in good condition. They are still availible from Federal, too.

Robert
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i think may have bine something to do with all the class and federal regs
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

My second choice to the new whelen sounding ones is the old as dirt Federal PA-200... the one with the funky initial wail-up that is so unique. You can put the knob between wail & yelp and it makes some noise resebling that of a cow being hit by a bus.

As for Hi-Lo... Well, to myself and my friends that are in the department, we were never around when that was an actual widely used tone. So to us, it is just funny. In fact, it is somewhat of a nerve calmer. If we are tense or nervous while enroute, click it over to Hi-Lo and it never fails. For whatever reason, we bust out laughing.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Pj

Post by Pj »

Yeah, we do it out of fun too. Its funny to see people's faces when you pass them. Actually, when I was with the local PD, some of the guys loved to use it all the time...they thought it was more effective. I always like the remote light/siren control that had the small white square control head with the slide switch and the 4 colored buttons. That was a nice little setup before MDT came about.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

We've got one of those white ones in the rescue. I think it is a WS-227a. Thats got the most elongated wail out of all of them I think. It will wind down forever.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

whoop whoop

Post by jedi_saber »

I am definitely with x1sspic and Matt on the making of "interesting" and ever-new siren sounds. The newer 295HFS1 or HFS6 are nice units, however I must admit that it took some playing around with it until I actually figured what selector position was for what.
Cool sirencontroller after you figure out that in PA mode you get airhorn and manual control (sorta an electronic Q sound) and just the ramp-stop in MAN mode...
Currently I am using a Unitrol Touchmaster model-which I absolutely love-very unique sound coming through places that are used to code3, whelen and FedSig tones... Anyone have thoughts on the Unitrol models?
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Unitrols are nice, but the newer ones that have that pursuit mode with a bell are a waste of time.....it sounds like the local high school just let out.

Overall, I like them. They are very functional, and if installed properly they will outlast the vehicle, if not 2 or 3.

As for old FS, when you put the PA20 "Interceptor" in between WAIL and YELP, it makes that cow sound, but the cooler part is when you drop it back into WAIL - it ramps down, then starts a new cycle mid-stream then does normal WAIL....coolest thing I have ever heard!! I love making the truck that has one do that.

Scary part is, the truck is a 78 Chevy, the lightbar is TwinSonic and the siren is a PA20. It's almost like Squad 51 painted white :D
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
BPD541
New User

Re: Whelen Pinouts

Post by BPD541 »

The 295-53 has 9 holes in the back for connectors that I do not have. I don't need all the extra add ons. I just want to connect the siren to the speaker. Don't need the radio broadcast or anything. Can anyone tell me what holes are what so I can make a harness?
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

BPD541
New User

Post by BPD541 »

It's not listed on there. Already tried that route.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”