Jotto Desk vs. Havis Shields console for Explorer

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nylawman

Jotto Desk vs. Havis Shields console for Explorer

Post by nylawman »

I want to install radio equipment in a leased 2004 Ford Explorer. Both Havis Shields/Consolidator and Jotto Desk reportedly make a (no holes drilled) replacement section for the front end of the Explorer factory console. Each reportedly holds 12" of equipment in custom faceplates. Has anyone examined, used or installed either model? Which would you recommend? Charlie
grinthock

Post by grinthock »

I have the jotto in my Impala, great quality, faceplates are top notch.

I could pull it out, put back in the ash tray and you would never know it was in the car.

ZERO drilling. Perfect fit and finish.
kens

Post by kens »

Our fire dept. has purchased several consoles from Inch's Tooling and Machine Shop in Loomis, Ca. All were for Expeditions and are very good quality. You can see a couple of models on their website http://www.inchstooling.com
Good luck
Ken
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

now that is some very nice custome stuff!

Very cool, much like what I did with the special radio trays I had built out of stainless steel.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
nylawman

Purchased a Used Havis Shields Unit

Post by nylawman »

Thanks for your feedback. A board member sold me ($125) a slightly used Havis Shields model. Should be plug and play, with, perhaps, a couple of new faceplate/brackets necessary to hold my specific eqipment. FYI, I have a Troy console in my Crown Vic CVPI (primary work vehicle/lots of mounting room bedtween buckets). Great design & quality. The two I sought (Havis & Jotto), were selected for consideration based on their "no holes" ease of installation and removal as leased Explorer must be restored to its original condition in 2.5 years./ Charlie
K4RXR

Post by K4RXR »

Let me bump this topic with some additional questions.

It looks like the Jotto Desk console for the Explorer is a little deeper than the Havis-Shields. More depth would seem to be A Good Thing in order to accomodate deeper equipment that doesn't have remote head capability. However, the only photos on the two websites aren't detailed enough to give me a clear answer.

So, is the Jotto Desk console deeper? If it is, I'm guessing that it's not much. Maybe a half inch or an inch.

Also, it appears from the photos that the Jotto Desk unit has a slight slope up from back to front while the Havis-Shields is dead flat. True?

I see that Jotto Desk got at least one thumbs-up for manufacturing quality. Any comments about the quality of the Havis-Shields unit?

Thanks!

Bob...
BPD109
Batboard $upporter

Jotto v. Havis

Post by BPD109 »

My take:

Helped put in a Jotto console in an '04 Explorer...and was VERY pleased with it. Fit and finish was good, I dont like the phillips screws in the faceplates, I much prefer the secure torx that Troy uses.

Aside from that, the console is sturdy enough to handle the demand placed upon it. It is currently holding an MCS2K, Model II head a Carson LCS-7 Siren/Switch panel and an SVP arrowstick control head. another MCS2K will be added to it soon, but a model I, dashmount...there's plent of room.

There is a pretty big cost difference between the Havis and Jotto, if I remember right. The Havis is made out of a bit larger guage steel, but thats really about all.
You can only buy so many bags of lime before people begin asking questions...
ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

jayres

Post by jayres »

BPD109 is correct... he helped with the install in my vehicle, an '04 Explorer... I'm very happy with the JottoDesk console, and it is very simple to put the factory portion back in when you are done with it... And there is a big price difference, but I am happy with it... Here is the link to my earlier post, and some pics on it... Let me know if you want any more info or detailed pics, won't be a problem... Jon

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=42278
commtek
Batboard $upporter

Post by commtek »

Jotto Desk console. Can have it installed in 10 minutes. We use a lot of them in Exploders.
K4RXR

Post by K4RXR »

commtek wrote:Jotto Desk console. Can have it installed in 10 minutes. We use a lot of them in Exploders.
Bump again.

I'm about ready to order a Jotto console for my '03 Explorer, so I did some poking around today to see what it was going to take to get the top of the old console off. I'm stumped. What screw or clip or whatever am I missing? Or do you have to take the whole console out in order to take it apart to attach the Jotto console.

Bob...
echelon0911

Post by echelon0911 »

It's been a couple years since I did mine, but if memory serves, you remove a black plug in the console tray and that reveals either a screw or a clip. Once removed, the console should pop out.
K4RXR

Post by K4RXR »

I think I have it figured out. The link to the installation instructions on Jotto Desk's website was broken, but it worked today when I checked. It looks like once you remove the screw that's under the pad in the storage compartment, it's just a matter of applying some pressure to pop the top out of the clips.

Bob...

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”