2004 F-150

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kbmp0992
Batboard $upporter

2004 F-150

Post by kbmp0992 »

I just bought a 2004 F-150 (new style), and I need to install my 110w Spectra, with an A-9 head (I also have an A-7, if that would work better). I will also mount a CB radio.

Has anyone done this?

It is a Super Cab, but the drawer won't fit under the seat like it did in my Superduty. I used the MT-SRC11S from page 94 of the Adamson Industries online catalog, but it won't fit the F-150. I suppose I could buy the smaller one, or I'll need to do something else.

Is there a nice, convenient place for the antenna (UHF)? I have the stupid storage module slides on the ceiling.
b7spectra
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, Sabers, Spectras

Post by b7spectra »

Is this the new Lariat with the full console and floor shifter? If so, you are really going to have fun putting anything in there! It shouldn't be any problem mounting the antenna on the roof even with the overhead consoles in there. Good luck!
/\/\|k.e
kbmp0992
Batboard $upporter

Post by kbmp0992 »

Hah!

Luckily, I don't have that console, and I have the electric transfer case. So, there is some empty real estate.
fire-medic8104

Post by fire-medic8104 »

On alot of the F series trucks if they have that stupid key ring holder under the radio, then that is where I normally put a radio if there is just one. What you need to do is get those 1/2 to 3/4 long plastic spacer, take out the screws that hold the key ring hanger on and screw on your radios bracket.

You will have to use longer screws and may have to drill new holes in your bracket. I have found that the radio fits tight, does not leave any permanent holes in dash (except for mic clip), and looks pretty good.

Hope this helps
PriorityOne

Post by PriorityOne »

I just installed an ICOM in my 1 week old F150 and it went well. I have the radio mounted below the slide out cupholders on the dash with a bracket at a slight angle. I used a trunk-lid mount by antenex on the drivers-side corner of the hood and bent the whip slightly. The radio works great and I was much happier doing it without ANY holes. The trunk-lid mount works and looks better than the L-brackets too.
mmckenna
What radios do you own?: AM/FM with 8 track.

Post by mmckenna »

I installed a radio in my wifes 2004 F150 crew cab. I was lucky enough to get the bucket seat with the half center console that I think only comes on the XLT. I was able to mount the radio to the front of that. I was considering under the dash.

As for the antenna, she has the same overhead console. I ended up pulling the high mount brake/cargo light out, and installing the NMO right in front of that. I know that is not the ideal location, but I didn't want to try and pull the headliner out of something that big. It works fine, and actually the whole install went pretty fast.
"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from."
ssybert

Post by ssybert »

Heh.... Hey Steve!
kbmp0992
Batboard $upporter

Post by kbmp0992 »

Heh.....Scoot!

Yes, I was thinking about drilling for an NMO in front of the brake light.. it looks accessible. The headliner looks like it would be a bear to remove. The trunk lip mount on the hood sounds like a good possibility, too.

I think either control head (A-7 or A-9) would work under the cupholder, but I need to mount the CB, too. I may have to go with the console, but I don't really want to spend the money. Unless, of course, I can sell the one from the Superduty!

Thanks for the ideas!
ssybert

Post by ssybert »

Remember, if you plan on drilling a hole, you can get the 3/8 hole NMO mounts. You dont have to drill a huge 3/4 inch hole. I THINK I have a couple 3/8 if you want one with coax pre-assembled.
kbmp0992
Batboard $upporter

Post by kbmp0992 »

Actually, I bought a pre-assembled 3/8" one on Saturday. But, I don't mind using the 3/4" hole saw. I used it on the PSD and M-1. :o
ssybert

Post by ssybert »

Dude, if you have a 3/8" mount, USE THE 3/8 BIT!! Less surface to rust the better.

I bet you bouht it from that big filthy pig with the white trailer against the fence down commercial row right? Gray coax with a molded 90* bend in the connection @ the NMO?

I dont want to hijack the thread... Carry on gentlemen! :P

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”