first antenna?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

crazyboy

first antenna?

Post by crazyboy »

ok. i will probably be installing my first antenna. i have a frew questions.

1. is the antennes 3/4" hole saw good to od the job? cna i use it witha regular cordless drll?

2. Where in the roof should the mount(s) go? i mean in rleation to the structural support and things? does it matter?

3. to put in the nmo mount you drop the headliner. then drill the hole pop the bottom in and then screw the top piece on? am i right?

thanks.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

AS long as your hole saw is the type intended for this use your good to go. A cordless drill is possible, i have done it with a good 18v drill. But some of the cheapos don't have enough torque to get the job done.

Go slow when drilling, take your time. If you can have someone else help with a small can of cutting oil or even wd-40 and keep the saw lubricated. Also, the main reason for going slow is to keep from building up to much heat, if you do that your going to cause damage to surrounding paint, and even the saw.

I saw one guy leaning on a drill to make it cut faster, bad idea, for a lot of reasons including bending or distorting the roof or trunk surface.

Pull down the headliner and have a look, obviously you want an area of flat metal with nothing in the way, supports, wiring, etc. The best place to put a mount in my opinion is dead center of the roof, this gives an equal ground plane in all directions.

Take your time, and your sure to get it done right.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

ok thanks exactly the info i was looking for. I guess my ryobi 9.6v wont cut it? what type of drill do you use? i plan on gettingt the antennex brand saw. im going to be putting in a scanner antenna on one. i was alos thinking of throwing in another one for anything that is later to come or to hook up my handheld dualbander on. how far apart would you put them? thanks for all you help.
NodrogCop
Batboard $upporter

Post by NodrogCop »

What I did the first time I put an antenna in was to pull out the dome light, and drilled right up through there. No need to drop the headliner. Worked very well. If you're going to drill a second hole, then drop the headliner.

Another thing to consider is to have a shop do it for you. Call and ask around for pricing. They'll do it quicker, better, and can handle the blame if something should go wrong. Just a thought.

If you're intent on learning - go for it. You'll get no better range than with a roof mount. Also, DON'T use the 9.6v drill. Use a corded one, if necessary. As kb0nly pointed out, go slow and make a nice, smooth cut. You'll need plenty of power for it.

Good Luck!

Gordon
If all else fails, get a bigger hammer.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

the ryobi 9.6 won't even come close. i prefer a nice hi torque corded drill like a dewalt or something, but if you have to go for a cordless one, anything less than 18 is a sin.
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

ok thanks everyone for all your help.
FFParamedic571
Banned

Post by FFParamedic571 »

I personally prefer the DeWalt 14.4 ..I found the 18v to be too heavy. Try hangin on to one upside down on your back in an Impala trunk...
giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

why not try a chassis punch?

Post by giguchan »

Hey gang...
I know we have all done it.. (use a drill)but my vote is for a chassis punch... yes it's a wee bit expensive but i get a clean hole with no burrs or anything..
try it.. you won't ever go back to drilling..
Gig
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
BDB

Post by BDB »

I'm a dyed in the wool punch man too. I use a hole saw when I have to. but not as a preference.
giguchan

yeah man i hear you..

Post by giguchan »

ya know what?
I figure it like this.. i'm going to have more than 1 radio and more than one vehicle(all god willing) i want a clean hole-everytime it more than pays for itself in appearance.... no burrs no screwed up paint...
just need a place for my radios.... hahah..
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

what about the unibit?
giguchan

sounds like one them gadgets...

Post by giguchan »

that you see on a late night infomercial..... slices dices it julliannes(what is that anyhow?)
no thanks.... gimme a chassis punch everytime..
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
BDB

Post by BDB »

Unibits punch a clean hole but require care to keep from going too deep (wide).
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

I see...
no thanks sounds too complicated..... thnaks for the explanation.. ONLY have one sizehole to drill don't need "uni "anything... sounds like there is margin for error.... I'm a bad installer to begin with.. I don't need any extra help!
thanks gig
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
wheelman

Hole drilling trick...

Post by wheelman »

When I am drilling for a roof mount, I remove the dome light and insert a cap from a can of spray paint facing up directly under where I am going to drill. This does two things:
1.) prevents any damage to the headliner from the drill bit and
2.) catches all of the metal filings that would otherwise make a mess.
Just my .02.
WM
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

just a few notes

i found a hole punch if not done 100% correct can dent the sheet metal

i have found that the Mikita 7.8 volt right angle work like gang buster plus the right angle offes alot more control that and straight

that little drill packs a bunch

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”