2005 Explorer install pics

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

FFParamedic571
Banned

2005 Explorer install pics

Post by FFParamedic571 »

Here is a few of one of my latest projects. Its a troy console with a CDM1250 VHF ( I hadnt gotten it when the pics were taken) federal PA -300 Troy switch panel M1225UHF) Troy cupholder/ clipboard holder. 2 HT1000 chargers. On the side is a GJ explorer base with Kodiak CF-28 docking station..

EC-7

Post by EC-7 »

Nice clean install.

What is the keyed switch for, below the center console on passangers side?
Bob

Post by Bob »

EC-7 wrote:What is the keyed switch for, below the center console on passangers side?
Airbag disable for the laptop mount?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Yep, looks like an airbag disable to me.

FFP - Two questions - how do you like the Kodiak docking station? I'm looking at one for a CF-28 to go in my new truck as it gets built out. Also, where did you purchase the airbag switch? I'm in need of one (2005 Ford F-350 SD) to disable the airbag for the laptop.
FFParamedic571
Banned

Post by FFParamedic571 »

thats an Airbag disable made by AOI Airbag Options Inc

http://aoielectrical.com/

Its plug and play for most ford and chevy cars and trucks

I like the Kodiaks.. they are great as long as you dont take the laptop out alot. Or be careful when docking .

I have more pics of the lights I wlll post later
Cam
Batboard $upporter

Post by Cam »

tvsjr wrote:Yep, looks like an airbag disable to me.

FFP - Two questions - how do you like the Kodiak docking station? I'm looking at one for a CF-28 to go in my new truck as it gets built out. Also, where did you purchase the airbag switch? I'm in need of one (2005 Ford F-350 SD) to disable the airbag for the laptop.
Won't the truck come with one from the factory?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Cam22 wrote:
tvsjr wrote:Yep, looks like an airbag disable to me.

Won't the truck come with one from the factory?
Grr, no. The truck is a crew cab. So, the feds say, put the kids in the back seat - bingo, no need for an airbag cutoff switch. If you get a Supercab (no room for a child seat in the rear) or a Regular Cab (no rear seat!) you get a switch. Get a Crew Cab, you get no switch and no harness (I've thought about trying to use a Supercab switch... the wiring's not there, not to mention you can't get the parts from Ferd without an act of God).

No mention is given to what you do if you want to put a kid in the front, have more than two kids, have someone in the front who needs the airbag disabled for medical reasons, etc.

The funny part is, since the truck is a "1-ton" (carrying capacity is 4700lbs., but it's still a 1-ton... makes sense...) I don't legally have to wear seatbelts in Texas. But I gotta have those airbags... yee ha.

Dealers don't want to touch an airbag cutoff switch due to liability.

Can you tell I've beat my head against this issue for quite a while now? :evil: :evil: :evil:
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

The powers that be haven't read those warnings on the sun visor of every modern car that says "airbags are a supplimentary restraint system"? :D

Anyway, it's a nice looking install.
FFParamedic571
Banned

Post by FFParamedic571 »

Here are some pictures of the lighting...

Its not my Explorer Its the Fire Chief of my Fire Department. I work at the shop that does the installs on my day off..

Front to rear: Dynamax MS-01 speaker behind the center of the lower grill. Federal GRLST Red/ Blue corner strobes on a nova Xpak 640PE power supply. Sound off headlight flasher.. Whelen Red/blue talon over the rearview mirror

Back end: Red/blue Dual sync talons 911ep LS12 amber Nova xpak 640x running the strobes in the brake and reverse lights. On each side of the rear cargo area are a red/ blue talon behind the "C" pillar

This is the power supplies, CDPD air booster amp and GPS modem.
and the fun part is im doing the identical truck this week for the
Deputy Chief..

( I was using to much space with the pics)
Last edited by FFParamedic571 on Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rangerfourever

Post by rangerfourever »

Do you work in the shop in the Heights?
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

I used a Kodiak mobile CF-27/28 dock under the rear passenger seat in my suburban in conjunction with the mating PDRC setup. I traded in my LEDCO dock for the Kodiak and have been very happy with it.

I would highly endorse the Kodiak products, well built and they work well offering intelligent docking stations with spike protection power supplies (built in) and a host of factory and aftermarket internal options.

Their docks feature internal USB ports and 12V and 5vdc power connection points.

Did you guys slice out the factory console?
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
FFParamedic571
Banned

Post by FFParamedic571 »

Yep we measured it and cut it with a band saw.....If not some nasty looking vents....

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”