Jeep Wrangler Overhead Console and Antennae

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

grinthock

Jeep Wrangler Overhead Console and Antennae

Post by grinthock »

Anyone here used/seen the Tuffy Jeep Overhead Console?

They make a unit for 2 radios that pulls down apparently the radios drop down, just looking for ideas.

Also from an antenna perspective has anyone ever put an antenna on the back of a jeep near the spare? I've seen that before but concerned about proper ground plane (otherwise it's 1/2wave territory)
sglass
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: sonic screwdriver

Re: Jeep Wrangler Overhead Console and Antennae

Post by sglass »

grinthock wrote:
Also from an antenna perspective has anyone ever put an antenna on the back of a jeep near the spare? I've seen that before but concerned about proper ground plane (otherwise it's 1/2wave territory)

I'd recomend a ball mount and colinearvf whip

putting an antenna in that area between the spare and tailagte just plain flat out sucks. They won't work for crap outside the city.

maybe a lip mount on the passenger side of the hood?
grinthock

Post by grinthock »

Forgot to mention in the initial post -- i'm in an underground parking, so it's about 6 inches from the roof to the ceiling -- so i can't get anything too much taller than the roofline
olderookie
What radios do you own?: APX6000, XTS5000, Astro Saber

Post by olderookie »

I was contemlating taking my light bar off the other day and I think if I were to do that I would use a NMO mount on a tab from the windshleild frame. it would be up high and my 1/4 wave does well. on the light bar.

I have a CB whip off the rear bumper for now and I originally had a UHF 5/8 wave on a mount that used the spare tire studs as the mount. It worked well but the windsheild works better.

2000 wrangler with a M1225 25 watt on GMRS and some other PS and LMR stuff.
sglass
Batboard $upporter

Post by sglass »

grinthock wrote:Forgot to mention in the initial post -- i'm in an underground parking, so it's about 6 inches from the roof to the ceiling -- so i can't get anything too much taller than the roofline
that's right, I keep forgeting you live in an apartemnt

Well maybe one of those hood mount jobs then?
grinthock

Post by grinthock »

I picked up a cheap PRO AM glass mount - i'm going to try it and see how it goes.
sglass
Batboard $upporter

Post by sglass »

how will you route the cable?
grinthock

Post by grinthock »

mounted the Glass Mount antenna tonight -- seems i'm doing as well as a 1/4" wave on the trunk of the old car, so it's working at least as well as I would like. Cable routes down and under the carpet and over to the radio which is way up inside the dash
sglass
Batboard $upporter

Post by sglass »

hmm

post a pic will ya?

I always thought that vehicle needed a ball mount though
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

I used a Pro-Am 2m glass mount for a few years and it was okay. Certainly no better than a 1/4 wave groundplane.

The inside coupling box radiates a LOT of RF so try to avoid 50 watt key-downs with your head next to it. :D
sglass
Batboard $upporter

Post by sglass »

hey
why not a custom stand off with a nmo off thge side? It could fit inbetween the hardtop and the body., hell I don't think the fiberglass would screw with the pattern much.

Just another thought

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”