Problem with 2 way radio and siren

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jay G.
Batboard $upporter

Problem with 2 way radio and siren

Post by Jay G. »

Ok heres the situation:
2003 Ford E450 Cutaway Chassis with Medtec custom box.

Radios:
Low band 46.10 mhz CDM1250
UHF CDM1250

Siren:
SVP - SA441MA - Magnum Siren.

Problem: When you tx on the LOW band radio it will key the siren no matter what position the siren selector switch is in

Any suggestions of what to check??
Jay Goldmark, EMT
Ex-Captain, Woodmere Vol. Fire Dept.
Fire District Communications Supv.
KC2ZHI Amateur Radio Operator
Licensed Master Electrician
Owner, Top Class Electric, LLC.
Woodmere, Long Island, NY

"Enjoy Life, it's not a dress rehearsal !!!"

spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

Same sound from the siren each time or does it change?

Sounds like enough RF is getting into the siren to confuse it that one of the select lines is triggered. Look at the horn ring first. Disconnect it from the controller and try transmitting.

Martin
jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

Post by jmr3865 »

the antenna cable and the siren wires are too close together
JMR
KC2QVO
wx4cbh

Post by wx4cbh »

I concurr with the proximity factor of low band feedline and siren wiring. Years of installing low band Syntors in NCSHP cars tells me that the higher the SWR, the more likely the proximity of the control cabling with RF cabling will cause this type of problem, and on some low band antenna installations, you have to settle for 2:1 as the best that can be achieved with a particular antenna type, antenna location, mounting options, and vehicle profile combo.

Where the cables cross at a right angle or so is not where the problem will lie. We've occasionally had to run them on opposite sides of the vehicle in order to attenuate the parallel coupling that takes place. On remote mount sirens, grounding the shields on the siren control cables (if equipped) at both ends will deter the coupling but it still may be necessary to run them a good distance apart parallelwise in order to get some insurance on future problems. We've even had to sometimes run shielded audio and control wire where the original equipment does not provide it.

Also very important on all installations, but especially low band installations are the neat freaks who insist on neatly coiling excess cables and securing them in a position that creates a fairly good RF coil. This practice is almost guaranteed to cause untold RFI problems in accompanying equipment. If you've just gotta coil the cables, coil them in a large enough diameter coil that allows you to pull opposite sides of the coil in to the center and create a sorta flat bundle without compromising the minimum radius bend for the cable. This will help attenuate the RF coil effect.
curmudgeon.....and I like it.
necsradio

Post by necsradio »

I had this problem with lowband and a pyramid repeater.
The radio would create an rf loop and stayed keyed.
I put a RF choke on both antenna leads and seemed to do the trick.
kielhofer

Re: Problem with 2 way radio and siren

Post by kielhofer »

It depends on where the radio is.

I had a squad car that had the same problem, there was a Motorola mobile mounted either on top or bottom (can't remember which) of the siren controller. The radio had a mini-UHF connector and the shell and worked it's way loose so only the center pin was making contact. There was enough RF leaking out to get into the siren controler. After I tightened the RF connector the problem went away.

I have found out that sometimes the problems that make you bang your head against the wall have the easiest solutions.

Craig

Craig Kielhofer
KEC Communications
kec-comm@sbcglobal.net

[+1] 660.627.3614

N9NBO
GROL & GMDSS O/M
both with radar.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”