NEW Mobile Install Help

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Spatch713

NEW Mobile Install Help

Post by Spatch713 »

I want to run a mobile setup by you guys and get some input.

I have a 99' Ford Explorer that currently has a UHF x9000 with a 1/4 wave NMO mount antenna on the roof and a BC780 scanner with a L-mount Hustler antenna on the drivers side fender/hood. I also have a yaesu FT1500 ham radio but no antenna yet. All of this is nicely mounted onto the factory cubby/console. I Know it sounds hideous but it looks sharp. I would like to continue using this approach and stay away from vehicle consoles.

Here's the problem. I want access to Low Band, VHF and UHF but I dont wants lots of goofy antennas on my car. The x9000 is not narrowband capable so it will have to go. I am in a certain part of CT where everything seems to be crossbanded.... This new setup will be mostly for public safety but I would also like to get back on the ham bands (2m/70cm).

So far I have the antenna part figured out. I want to use a Austin Spectra w/ mulitplexer where the scanner antenna was. The radio part has me stumped because I want ham bands but need the Motorola MDC1200 feature. Would Spectra's work for me or CDM1250's? I have a remote head Low Band Maxtrac in case the Spectra scenario works out.
The image is cracked but so is the view...
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

the cdm1250 or 1550 will work best, the spectra won't do narrow band either unless it's an astro.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Spatch713

Post by Spatch713 »

Great, that helps a lot. I wasnt sure if they were narrow band capable. I might be able to get my hand on a VHF astro spectra but I already have all the progamming gear and familiarity with the CDM's.

So does anyone have any experience with the Austin Spectra multiband antenna?
kb3jkp
Banned

Post by kb3jkp »

just remember that multi-band antenna's are usually a compromise....

they usually get the highest gain at higher frequencies, and zero,sometimes "negative" gain, on the lower frequencies(VHF)
Spatch713

Post by Spatch713 »

Yes I am aware of that. But I dont want three seperate antennas on my car. The questions was does anyone have any direct experience with an Austin Spectra antenna.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”