2007 Ford Expedition With Curtian Airbags

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Rod Farva
What radios do you own?: Way too many!!

2007 Ford Expedition With Curtian Airbags

Post by Rod Farva »

Anyone have any info on installing antennas on a 2007 Ford Expedition with rear climate controls and Curtian airbags? I have a lot of experience with installs but when it comes to airbags in the headliner I want to be cautious. I just bought this Expedition yesterday and I am installing 5 radios in it.. Any info would be appreciated. I just do not feel comfortable running coax infront of the airbag system plus is there anything I need to know that might be hidden inside the headliner when drilling the holes or running the feedline... Thanks.
I DON'T WANT A LARGE FARVA I WANT A GOD*&^*& LITER OF COLA!
txshooter

Re: 2007 Ford Expedition With Curtian Airbags

Post by txshooter »

Run the coax behind the airbag system. This is the only way to do it in some vehicles. It is also possible to run the cable to completely circumvent the sytem in others. Think a 2007 Expedition is bad, try a install in a 2007 Toyota RAV 4 that no one ever thought of two way radio installation. At least Expeditions are commonly used in public saftey applications.

Scott
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

what if you kept the wires low along the rockers all the way to the back then come up the last pillar? i'm guessing you are going to put the antennaes in the center of the rear section of the roof?
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Rod Farva

Post by Rod Farva »

What I did was route the coax between the airbag and the body of the vehicle, I ran my coax down the B Pillar and that seemed to work ok. Thanks for the input. I have 5 antennas that went into this rig. I will post pictures at a later date....

1 XTL5000 W4
1 CDM1550LS+ VHF
1CDM1550LS+UHF
1 Uniden Pro 510XL CB
1 Troy Moducom console
1 Motorola Vehicle charger for my XTS5000...
txshooter

Post by txshooter »

Glad it worked for you. Thats how we have had to do soeme installs. If you don;t have it completely together yet, you may want to anchor your antenna cable to the roof to keep it from coming in contact with the airbag. 20/20 Hindsight!
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
Rod Farva

Post by Rod Farva »

you not kidding on that! I had a few of those little sticky squares that you can run a small zip tie on, and I stickied the coax to the roof. The fun part was the headliner since it has vents for rear heating and AC....

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”