Removing a window mount antenna

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Conundrum

Removing a window mount antenna

Post by Conundrum »

Does anyone have tips on removing a window mounted antenna? I'm probably just going to take a heat gun to it and a razor blade, but on the inside its over window mounted antenna/defrost wires and I don't want to cut them, any tips would be great.
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, APX2000

Re: Removing a window mount antenna

Post by PhillyPhoto »

looks like you're living up to your username, lol. I would suggest goo gone, then some windex to clean up the residue.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

With our installers, I just wait a month and it falls off by itself. :lol:
Conundrum

Post by Conundrum »

jackhackett wrote:With our installers, I just wait a month and it falls off by itself. :lol:
lol, I wish it was that easy, this sucker is on there good, it's been on there solid for a good year and a bit.
fire-medic8104

Post by fire-medic8104 »

I have always just put a thin blade screw driver and slowly apply pressure. It takes a couple of good bumps to get under the mount. Have a box blade handy to cut the adhesive as you stretch it. Be careful because once it hits a certain spot it will pop right off. Then take a razor and scrap the residue off.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

I don't recommend any kind of a screwdriver being used to pry off one of these window mounts.

Every time I have seen this done, they cracked the window and had to have it replaced. That
gets very expensive for a $45 window mount. Normally you can use a very thin blade like a razor
knife to help cut the double sided tape. Be very careful not to do any prying with the blade. You
will crack the window.

Jim

fire-medic8104 wrote:I have always just put a thin blade screw driver and slowly apply pressure. It takes a couple of good bumps to get under the mount. Have a box blade handy to cut the adhesive as you stretch it. Be careful because once it hits a certain spot it will pop right off. Then take a razor and scrap the residue off.
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

I've used a 3" putty knife before. It's flat and wide enough to distribute the lifting force without cracking the glass.

Just take your time.
Conundrum

Post by Conundrum »

va3wxm wrote:I've used a 3" putty knife before. It's flat and wide enough to distribute the lifting force without cracking the glass.

Just take your time.
Got it removed, used a heat gun and putty knife to remove it, then a razor blade to clean off the excess glue.
Larry

Post by Larry »

I've used "piano-cord" and slipped the wire cord behind the mount and cut through the adhesive tape..... then cleaning the window surface with a razor blade and some WD-40 to get rid of the sticky residue.....
BENWSI
New User
What radios do you own?: CDM 750 in my truck

Post by BENWSI »

What he said! 8) I used a trim tool once...CRACK! Very expensive lesson. The putty knife and the WD-40 seems to do the trick now. I like the piano cord idea, never thought of that.

Ben
In the Tennessee hill country
g-man

Post by g-man »

Larry wrote:I've used "piano-cord" and slipped the wire cord behind the mount and cut through the adhesive tape..... then cleaning the window surface with a razor blade and some WD-40 to get rid of the sticky residue.....
I've used a guitar string that is not wound such as the high "E".....

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”