2000 Explorer Console

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

2000 Explorer Console

Post by NSPD »

Does ANYONE make a nice console for a 2000 Ford Explorer that won't require me to take out the center console that holds the CD changer? I did a half-assed install on my last explorer and I would like to do this one right.
Jake
alex
Administrator

Re: 2000 Explorer Console

Post by alex »

I had a great Troy console that was installed in my 2000 explorer, and always got great compliments about the install, and the general look of it. I still have it, and would happily sell it with the baseplate, and whatever brackets happen to be with it.

You'd probably want to buy an arm rest, and it goes from the AC vents, slops down 7", and then goes all the way back to just between the two seats. It's in excellent condition.

There's also a couple of things you can do with the space with the two pockets, just under the AC unit. If you have played, you've found this piece comes out real easily. You can do a lot with that space. When I got my explorer, we took two racks - the pieces of 18ga metal, with "waffle" holes in it (I don't have a photo handy, sorry) and mounted the radios between them. The racks are usually used on a transmission hump, and you hold them together by bolting something between them. They fit in that spot, and you have a lot of options.

I've also seen people take that plastic and fabricate a perfect mount for a syntor, dek, and CDM that looked fantastic, and almost factory. I don't know if he's got photo's posted online.

Let me know if you decide to go full console, and we can work something out on the console I have, as it is complete with the tray and the whole setup.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
twowayradiony
What radios do you own?: Several!!!

Post by twowayradiony »

Look at havis they might be able to help you
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

I really don't want to go full console, because I don't want to lose my CD changer and armrest. I would like to have space to mount, at a minimum, 2 Model II MCS2000's and an Astro Spectra and some cupholders. I plan on mounting a Systems Saber SVA on the rear of the center console and running the display mic up to a jack on the console as a 2nd VHF radio.

My former mount was a home-built setup where I removed the compartment piece of the console and a friend helped me fabricate a custom bracket that held a TK-780, TK-880, and a BC350A scanner on a pivoting bracket that worked well but wasn't very "pretty".
Jake
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

twowayradiony wrote:Look at havis they might be able to help you
According to the website, all they have is 02-07 Explorer consoles.
Jake
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Jake --

It sounds like my suggestion of using those 2 pieces of metal with the holes in them would work great. I had 3 radios in their easy, 2 of which were MCS2000's, the 3rd, was a CDM1550. If you have the option to remote mount, I think you'd be better off, but I think it's pretty do-able, and I don't think the metal things are more than 30-40 bucks. Simply place them between the two pieces of plastic that protrude up when you remove that tray in front, and you still get your cup holders and CD player. I even hung a lighting controller off the side of it as well. There's lots of options with that stuff.

-Alex
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

alex wrote:Jake --

It sounds like my suggestion of using those 2 pieces of metal with the holes in them would work great. I had 3 radios in their easy, 2 of which were MCS2000's, the 3rd, was a CDM1550. If you have the option to remote mount, I think you'd be better off, but I think it's pretty do-able, and I don't think the metal things are more than 30-40 bucks. Simply place them between the two pieces of plastic that protrude up when you remove that tray in front, and you still get your cup holders and CD player. I even hung a lighting controller off the side of it as well. There's lots of options with that stuff.

-Alex
Do you have a link to the pieces of metal you are referring to Alex?

This was the old install and I want to avoid this look...
Jake
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort= ... 0&cat=2692

God... I didn't think it was a galls product!

Either way, $32 gets you two of those, and the width is based upon what you put in the middle.

The ears go under the dash, facing each other.

-Alex
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

Those look alright but it's going to give me the sloppy install with exposed wires that I want to avoid.

I guess i'm going to just have to wait until I can find a suitable commercial console. I wonder how much work it would take to make the 2002 Explorer console fit...
Jake
abrasowski
What radios do you own?: CDM1250s, CP200, RDXs, DTR550

Post by abrasowski »

I was actually in your exact position when I used to have my Ford Explorer Sport. It was a 2001, but NOBODY made a console for it (the factory console was the exact same as the 2000 ford explorer) Luckily I have since gotten rid of it and have pick up a 2002 ford explorer which I plan to get a nice jotto desk console for.

Anyway, there is however hope for you.
When I had my explorer with the same size console as yours I did a lot of looking around and asking what I could put there to have a nice console. No manufacturer makes a custom console for an explorer 2001 and earlier, and for me, the biggest problem was I didnt want to have to hack out my rear air conditioning unit or have to deal with that mess of wires. While asking questions and searching the elightbars.org forum, I found a guy who had figured it out.

Basically you remove the top portion of your existing console, like in the above pics. Then pick up a havis shields 14" consollidator console...this exact one: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Havis-Consolida ... dZViewItem
The console is a perfect fit right where you removed the factory top console part, and to be honest, yoou really dont have to mount it, because of the weight of the equipment, but I would, just make some custom brackets, or use the bend the existing ones to fit however you like. I've never done it myself, but the pics of another guys lokks pretty clean/professional.

PICS:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/un ... C-024F.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/un ... C-023F.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/un ... C-022F.jpg

Good Luck!
--
Alexander
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

Awesome! I think that is what I may end up going with. Looks simple enough to mount. Thanks Alexander and everyone else for the help!
Jake
scvfd1204
What radios do you own?: Most older style legacy gear..

Post by scvfd1204 »

Not trying to resurrect on old thread, but I saw these pictures and a few others online when I bought my 98 Mountaineer last year. The 14" Havis Consolidator fits perfectly, and the universal mounting brackets work great to secure it to the remainder of the factory console.

I have pics of mine as well if anyone is interested.

I have also added a couple of extra power outlets for cig plug devices in the remainder of the factory console.
"Sniffing RF for a living doesn't have any long term effects...effects...effects...effects."

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”