Where do you mount your handheld in your vehicle ??

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Where do you mount your handheld in your vehicle ??

Post by MT2000 man »

Hi all, I have an astro saber, (you all know how big these things are:) any ideas on when I can put it in my truck, without it falling down from the visor/rolling around in my seats ??

Thanks !!!!!!!!

picts. would be a help as well
SomeGuyInAHat

Post by SomeGuyInAHat »

I use one of these to hang my XTS3000 on the door. Works great. Motorola part no. TDN9373A.

Paul
What radios do you own?: You can't imagine!...

Post by Paul »

I use to hang my HT on drivers window; I use the belt clip to hang it on window glass and then I adjust the window till the bottom of the radio just sit on the door.
You just need a tight belt clip and a half open window if you don't mind...
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Hanging you HT, so to speak...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I hang my Vertex VX900V from the passenger's visor in my Outback. The HT is pretty light in weight and complements the FT-90 control head which is mounted on the console. The audio of this HT is LOUD, and if I put the long antenna on the radio it hears the FD dispatcher almost as well as if it's sitting on the seat beside me. The "upcounty" sensitivity really needs an outside antenna and I live "downcounty."

(Sabers, except with the really short, small batteries are too heavy to hang on the visor, I have found.)

And with a 2400 mAh battery on the Vertex and mostly receiving the battery never, or almost never, dies on me.

Years ago I tried hanging my Icom HT's from the window frame but my elbows and arms kept hitting them, and I'm righthanded, so the location on the left is cumbersome.

Tom, W2NJS
...in D.C.
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Like I said before, I have an astro saber with the larger battery on it, so its pretty hard to find a good spot to put it. I have a (just got it) a ford F-350, and it does have lots of places to put smaller radios, but I tried putting the astro saber in the overhead slot, and had it fall on my arm while driving, (not a pretty site), and the visor cant hold it, and i don't like putting it in the seat (sometimes i carry passengers)

Any suggestions?

I would like to get a mobile install , as for I have a GM300 I would like installed under the slot to the right of the steering wheel. (since it cant fit in the slot)
Blitzbug2u

Mount 4 H/H

Post by Blitzbug2u »

try a good STIFF goose-neck cell-phone holder--one w/ adjustable sliding arms that 'ratchet' shut when squeezed together. Holds well,releases quickly--have used for Saber w/ no problems. Goose neck allows flexable mounting ( I mounted bottom bracket to seat-track rail bolt. No holes/works great. Blitz.
mt1000ff

Portable mount

Post by mt1000ff »

The bracket that someguyinahat suggested works well with my MT (also heavy) But you have to take it out before you slam the door or it makes a terrible sound. The bracket also has a hole in the back for a screw mount. Usually mine lays in the passenger seat/floor after quick stops.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

You can find yourself an old portapocket charger and screw it into the floor. Crude, but works.

-Alex
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

I think that I will possibly get the door hanger clip and mount that somewhere in the truck for the time being. I will most likely get the install done in mid October, so that would take care of the portable radio problem.

Some interesting comments though, any more ??

All comments welcome !!
SomeGuyInAHat

Post by SomeGuyInAHat »

check out PanaVise's In-Dash cell phone holders. They're held in place by the stereo bolts. I used to have one in a Cherokee to hold a scanner, also worked fine with a Saber.
motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

I use the same clip in my truck - screwed fron the inside to the glove box door. Doesn't rattle much and is not obtrusive when not in use.
A10382

99 & 2000 Taurus

Post by A10382 »

Radios have gottrn smaller.. much smaller.

fleet of 99 & 2000 Taurus.. Center console left in place with top door removed. Radio installed in the console, facing the driver.

Drilled out the bottom of one of the cup holders in front of the console bin with the circle cutter from a home door lockset installation kit.

This makes a 3-4" deep 'pocket' that holds the HT nice and vertical. No provision for a charger, but we're working on that now. Creative juices are flowing.. thinking about tearing a charger apart and using just it's radio cup under the cup holder.. The rest of the charger electronics could go under the console bin.

thinking... thinking... smell the silicon burning .... :o
_._ _.
jcobb

Post by jcobb »

I forgot the name of it, but you could get the shelf thing that goes from one side of the cab to the other. You take the visors off, mount this in the visor mounting holes, and then remount the visors to the shelf.

This is the second full-size Bronco that I have had the shelf in, and I love it. I have my JT-1000 charger mounted there. I also have my small 12V-110A/C converter (for my laptop), Rat Shack 2067 scanner, remote speaker, and 3 12V power plugs up there too. You can run a heavy duty 12V lead up the passenger side windshield channel to power everything.

The full-size Bronco has lots of room for stuff, but right now I have:

- GPS mounted on the dash in front of the steering wheel
- 800 meg Astro Spectra Smartzone digital State radio control head on the dash above the AM/FM radio
- VHF Astro Spectra 128 channel conventional/digital control head mounted with the 800 meg control head
- Lo VHF 99 channel Maratrac fire radio contol head mounted on the dash above the glove box
- VHF hi 99 channel contol head mounted on the hump
- UHF Pac/RT connected to the VHF Maratrac
- 2 15V DC meters to monitor the two vehicle batteries
- all the stuff on the shelf

Going in later this month/next month:

- aviation Air/ground on the hump above the VHF Maratrac
- dual band frequency agile modified ham rig (dual band antenna)
- Johnson (POS) digital VHF above the aviation radio
- Army Guard PRC-77 in the center of the back seat
- Motorola Micom II HF 100 channel w/tuner on top of the PRC-77
- Army Guard PRC-66 200-400 meg AM above the Micom
- Mobile charger for UHF HT600/MT1000 will go on the back of the center console.

Along with the obligatory cell phone, first aid kit, flares, cold weather gear, larger DC/AC converter, MREs, water, tool kit, blanket, direction finder, tire chains, and shovel.

And of course, the extra battery under the hood with the heavy duty alternator.

The HF and Army lo band antennas will be mounted off of the spare tire carrier on the back. One VHF antenna will be the no-ground Larsen mounted on the roof towards the rear. One 800 meg thru the glass 5 DB gain toward the rear. All the others on the metal roof, with the lo band fire antenna (high power) mounted on the drivers side fender between the windshield and the hood (opposite the AM/FM antenna).

It can get noisy, and yes, I have had all the children I am going to have.

Jack

jcobb

Post by jcobb »

I forgot the name of it, but you could get the shelf thing that goes from one side of the cab to the other. You take the visors off, mount this in the visor mounting holes, and then remount the visors to the shelf.

This is the second full-size Bronco that I have had the shelf in, and I love it. I have my JT-1000 charger mounted there. I also have my small 12V-110A/C converter (for my laptop), Rat Shack 2067 scanner, remote speaker, and 3 12V power plugs up there too. You can run a heavy duty 12V lead up the passenger side windshield channel to power everything.

The full-size Bronco has lots of room for stuff, but right now I have:

- GPS mounted on the dash in front of the steering wheel
- 800 meg Astro Spectra Smartzone digital State radio control head on the dash above the AM/FM radio
- VHF Astro Spectra 128 channel conventional/digital control head mounted with the 800 meg control head
- Lo VHF 99 channel Maratrac fire radio contol head mounted on the dash above the glove box
- VHF hi 99 channel contol head mounted on the hump
- UHF Pac/RT connected to the VHF Maratrac
- 2 15V DC meters to monitor the two vehicle batteries
- all the stuff on the shelf

Going in later this month/next month:

- aviation Air/ground on the hump above the VHF Maratrac
- dual band frequency agile modified ham rig (dual band antenna)
- Johnson (POS) digital VHF above the aviation radio
- Army Guard PRC-77 in the center of the back seat
- Motorola Micom II HF 100 channel w/tuner on top of the PRC-77
- Army Guard PRC-66 200-400 meg AM above the Micom
- Mobile charger for UHF HT600/MT1000 will go on the back of the center console.

Along with the obligatory cell phone, first aid kit, flares, cold weather gear, larger DC/AC converter, MREs, water, tool kit, blanket, direction finder, tire chains, and shovel.

And of course, the extra battery under the hood with the heavy duty alternator.

The HF and Army lo band antennas will be mounted off of the spare tire carrier on the back. One VHF antenna will be the no-ground Larsen mounted on the roof towards the rear. One 800 meg thru the glass 5 DB gain toward the rear. All the others on the metal roof, with the lo band fire antenna (high power) mounted on the drivers side fender between the windshield and the hood (opposite the AM/FM antenna).

It can get noisy, and yes, I have had all the children I am going to have.

Jack

nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

jcobb wrote: And of course, the extra battery under the hood with the heavy duty alternator.
Jack
A must!
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”