Couple of install questions for a Convertacom

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

riggz
New User
What radios do you own?: MTX8000 w/ a Convertacom

Couple of install questions for a Convertacom

Post by riggz »

I am about to install a convertacom for my MTX8000 (800mhz). My questions are as follows:

1.) The mic that came with the unit is a mini mic (HMN 1056D) Is there a larger mic that will work with this unit?

2.) How do you power this unit up? I have the black/red plug that goes into the amp and a yellow that comes off the parallel cable male plug. I assume the red/black are my 12v +/-, but is the red the switched feed and the yellow the constant 12v +?

3.) Can anyone recommend a good antenna to use with this? I need something black and low profile. I will probably be mounting it to my truck's toolbox so I don't have to drill a hole in the roof of my truck.

Thanks!
riggz
New User

Re: Couple of install questions for a Convertacom

Post by riggz »

Ok I've found the answer to question #2. Yellow is the switched 12v+ feed and the red/black are my 12v +/-.

And the model of the control unit is a NTN1322A with a NTN1340A holder.

Also, why do I have to keep waiting for my post to be approved? Is there a certain post number I have to reach before I don't have to wait? Thanks!
immelmen28

Post by immelmen28 »

riggz wrote:3.) Can anyone recommend a good antenna to use with this? I need something black and low profile. I will probably be mounting it to my truck's toolbox so I don't have to drill a hole in the roof of my truck.

I have no experience with convertacoms, so that I will defer to others. But without a doubt a good low profile black antenna is the Maxrad BMLPV800. I have two and and I am very pleased. The construction is very sturdy and un-obtrusive. Commonly seen in use by all of the local/federal government around here.
Tom
riggz
New User

Post by riggz »

immelmen28 wrote:
riggz wrote:3.) Can anyone recommend a good antenna to use with this? I need something black and low profile. I will probably be mounting it to my truck's toolbox so I don't have to drill a hole in the roof of my truck.

I have no experience with convertacoms, so that I will defer to others. But without a doubt a good low profile black antenna is the Maxrad BMLPV800. I have two and and I am very pleased. The construction is very sturdy and un-obtrusive. Commonly seen in use by all of the local/federal government around here.
Tom
That looks just like what I need. Thanks!
riggz
New User

Post by riggz »

After attempting to clean up this used unit I have given up hope and purchased a new kit with the 15watt amp. (The old unit must have been left in a damp location as the cables reek of mildew and mold.) I think I'll give the stuff a bleach bath and some febreeze then part it out. So now we are left with the antenna: If I went with the Maxrad antenna, what size coax will I need and where is a good place to buy both? I've found the Maxrad on ebay for $35 shipped. Is this a good deal?

Thanks.
immelmen28

Post by immelmen28 »

riggz wrote:After attempting to clean up this used unit I have given up hope and purchased a new kit with the 15watt amp. (The old unit must have been left in a damp location as the cables reek of mildew and mold.) I think I'll give the stuff a bleach bath and some febreeze then part it out. So now we are left with the antenna: If I went with the Maxrad antenna, what size coax will I need and where is a good place to buy both? I've found the Maxrad on ebay for $35 shipped. Is this a good deal?

Thanks.

Yeah, I bought all my stuff from Hutton Online and the maxrad low profiles go for $37-42.00 depending on freq. They also carry a complete line of Maxrad NMO coax/mounts assembled and ready to install for good prices, and you know its good commercial grade stuff. That site has almost everything you could ever want for mobile installations.

Tom
riggz
New User

Post by riggz »

I looked up Hutton online and it appears they only sell to dealers. I need to buy a Maxrad NMO8XPL mount.

Also, I've installed the new convertacom kit. When I powere up the unit, the LED flashes green, then red, then after a moment it goes solid orange. What does this mean?

Thanks.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
riggz
New User

Post by riggz »

Tessco also appears to not sell to consumers.
immelmen28

Post by immelmen28 »

riggz wrote:I looked up Hutton online and it appears they only sell to dealers. I need to buy a Maxrad NMO8XPL mount.

Also, I've installed the new convertacom kit. When I powere up the unit, the LED flashes green, then red, then after a moment it goes solid orange. What does this mean?

Thanks.

I have been through the same frustration of trying to find someone to sell maxrad stuff to individuals your experiencing. Tessco will not sell it to you but if you make a request via their page in about a week they will put you in contact with someone who will via email.

As for Hutton, it can be done! (i just received another MBPL430 low profile in the mail today from them.) however it requires you to set up an account with them. I would recommend doing this via their old site at https://www.huttononline.com/HuttonOnli ... aspx?cat=1
rather than the new site that comes up in a google search as the new site is more picky as to who gets an account. the old site however will let you set up, log in and order just what you need. Hope this helps, let me know if i can help further in getting your hands on this stuff.
I remember how annoying it was first time around,
Tom
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

Call them and set up an account - what pricing you get depends on what you are, business, individual, government, etc.

Tell them you're a self maintained end user.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Bear in mind that both Hutton and Tessco require minimum orders to receive anything better than list pricing. Tessco isn't too draconian... Hutton, however, is (which is the reason I dropped my account with them and do all my business with Tessco).
riggz
New User

Post by riggz »

Thanks for the replies! I have found a local Maxrad retailer.

For my other question... does the orange LED mean that the battery is too hot or cold? I removed the portable the other day and the battery was very hot to the touch.
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

Funny, I get great pricing with Tescco and they don't hold me to minimum monthly activity either....

Hutton is pretty much a tool to deal with.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
techie
Batboard $upporter

Post by techie »

Regarding Q1 - Microphones:

You can use most Maxtrac microphones such as HMN1035C, or HMN1056D.
Manual DTMF mics such as HMN3013 and HMN1037, and some early miniature mics such as the HMN1056A are not compatible.

For standard microphones both of the DIP switches on the bottom of the cradle should be set towards the front of the holder. The rear setting is for display microphones, that may have never actually been built.
-- Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine --
Bob Vaughan | techie@tantivy.net
AF6RR | P.O.Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”