CDM1250 TX Cuts Out

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sparky2842

CDM1250 TX Cuts Out

Post by sparky2842 »

I recently installed a CDM 1250 in my Silverado. When I key the mic with the truck not running it cuts of tx and beeps like a ht1000 does when the battery is low. When the truck is running it talks fine with good audio reports. Is there a TX cut-off point when the voltage drops? The voltage does drop below 12 volts on key down. It cuts out so fast I cant get a good reading on my meter. The truck starts fine and I dont think theres a battery issue. I did run the wires right to the battery also.
Thanks in advance ,
Brian
john9912
New User

Re: CDM1250 TX Cuts Out

Post by john9912 »

Sounds like low voltage. The radio will make two short beeps similar to a portable when the voltage is low. Check your connections. If there is any corrosion, it will increase resistance. Check the voltage at the radio not just at the source. If you want to see quick changes in voltage, use an analog meter or the bar graph display on a good digital meter.
sparky2842

Post by sparky2842 »

All contacts are clean and the voltage drops to 11.5v on transmit. I am going to have the battery checked, started a little slow this morning also.
Thanks for the help,
Brian
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I have a suspicion your battery has dropped a cell... get it checked before you get stranded!
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

Same thing happened here. The auto battery died a few weeks after.

Weird how the mobile gives the same low battery alert as the portables, but hey that's a good thing as it detects a defective auto battery.

Maybe they should use this as a selling point - "our radios alert you when your auto battery is failing" :lol:
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

Another goofy quirk of the CDM is the radio will come on, when set for IGN SENS, if the battery drops too low also. Seems counterproductive, i know, but we've had half a dozen different units that turned themselves on when the vehicle battery started to drop off. I've never been able to meter the truck battery when it has happened, but it's only happened on older batteries, and only on units which had their batteries replaced soon after from multiple jumpstarts.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

From what I remember, when the car voltage drops in the low 11's volt, the low batt chirp comes on.
sparky2842

Post by sparky2842 »

Thanks everyone,
Picked up a new battery and cleaned up all the connections it works good now. Battery was tested and turned out to be bad. Got a larger amp battery to boot..
Brian

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”