Very basic, nothing fancy

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W3MOT
Banned for the Greater Good
What radios do you own?: Just a console for nuke'n.

Very basic, nothing fancy

Post by W3MOT »

This is an 03' Heep Grand Cherokee. This vehicle has been deemed by the radio installers *THE* hardest vehicle for radio placement. I managed to fit 5 radios in the center console.

Radios are inline-fused on all hot ends, wired to a fuse box, which is wired to a 100Amp BUSS Fuses Resettable Circuit breaker, which is wired to a batter.... follow? All are ignition sensed to the factory fuse box. All connectors (Antenna connectors, Butt Connectors, Spade Connectors, etc. have Heat Shrink on the connector where it meets to the cable. Everything is wire loomed in the engine compartment and to my Remote Mounts. There are a total of six antennas. One (tempo) is an 800Mhz antenna for the Trunked System here on an MCS2000. Second is 2 meter on a CDM1550, third is a 70cm Maxtrac, 46MHz Maxtrac for fire, and finally a BCT15 that I never use. ;-) I used three types of antennas (although I prefer just two) Radiall Larsen and Laird Tech Antennex. The third (which I'm replacing) is a company called Browning. Which was a off branch from a smaller company originally supplying Larsen's. (I think.) Anyway, that's it for my big mouth. Just look at the pics.

Last edited by W3MOT on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intellegence/\/\Somewhere
"One radio at a time..."
firefighter13669
New User
What radios do you own?: M1225,F3161,F70,F5061,F33,F50V

Re: Very basic, nothing fancy

Post by firefighter13669 »

Isnt that console a little high? does it make is difficult in seeing the radios while driving and changing channels?
KC2VHB
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Ill agree that Grand Cherokees are the worst for mounting anything. The majority of the ones I have done are UC for some 3 letter agencies. We had to mount everything so it wasnt visable from the outside. The antenna was a sti-co and the Astro Spectra W3 head was in the center console . The lights were on Remote Lund SFGH100 controller in the center also. Now a regular cherokee is worse.. His console is a bit on the large size. Im sure it works for him.
Monitor142
What radios do you own?: MT500 w/ P25 trunking and AES

Post by Monitor142 »

It may be tall but if he's not running some aftermarket remote kits for the maxtrac's, he'll need about 4 feet :lol: of clearance for the low band unit.

Nice work...I feel your pain. I ride in a Toyota Highlander and short of cutting the factory console out with a saw, I can't do much myself.

M142
firefighter13669
New User
What radios do you own?: M1225,F3161,F70,F5061,F33,F50V

Post by firefighter13669 »

Yes I agree it looks good!

And those vehicles are a pain.

I just had a few questions
KC2VHB
W3MOT

Post by W3MOT »

I'll agree that the console appears a bit high, but in reality when you sitting in the vehicle it's at a perfect height for viewing. The only pain is adjusting the scanner because it's to the extreme rear. But as stated earlier, I hardly use it so I have no reason to complain.

Thanks for the kind words!
"One radio at a time..."
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

Where did the pictures go?
W3MOT

Post by W3MOT »

I deleted them. I don't like keeping pictures up for too long. Uses up valuable Photobucket space.
"One radio at a time..."
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

W3MOT wrote:I deleted them. I don't like keeping pictures up for too long. Uses up valuable Photobucket space.

Photobucket is pretty liberal on how much you can store. It's somewhat silly to only have them up for one day as there are many people who do not live on this forum and would possibly liked to see them.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Since it's apparent the OP doesn't want to receive any further comments on his install, before this can go too far south... *clank*.

W3MOT, in the future, if you start a thread like this, plan on leaving the photos alone, k?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Well, W3MOT can't decide if he had hosting problems or if he deleted the images, but he promises to return and replace the photos... so, thread unlocked for now - please hold off on any flameage.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

No O-ring under the Browning antenna, not sure about the others. Fail.
W3MOT

Post by W3MOT »

LOL! The Browning antenna is no longer on the vehicle. I put it on there as a test for the 800MHz MCS2000 which is a remote mount under one of the seats. It's nice and easy to change out. The MCS2000 that I regularly have installed is a UHF. The antenna that's usually mounted where the Browning is, is a UHF Laird Technologies/Antennex Phantom antenna. There are two on the rear of the roof. One on the left, and one on the right. Phantom antennas have built-in O-rings.
"One radio at a time..."

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”