DIN mounting kit for Spectra control heads?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Elroy Jetson

DIN mounting kit for Spectra control heads?

Post by Elroy Jetson »

The remote Spectra control heads (Other than the W9 type) are essentially a standard single space DIN size,
and with this in mind I realized that if I just had the right mounting kit, I could install a Spectra control head
right in my dash underneath the radio, which right now is just a spare change box filling one DIN space,
and have a super clean, neat, semi-stealth installation.

I'm sure that after all these years this has come up before and I have no doubt that such a kit IS available
without me having to hand-craft my own. (I can do that, as I'm an amateur machinist, among several
other hobbies, but I'd rather just buy the kit and be done with it. I have too many projects lined up already.)

So, who makes such a kit and what's the part number?

Elroy
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Re: DIN mounting kit for Spectra control heads?

Post by Josh »

Elroy Jetson wrote:The remote Spectra control heads (Other than the W9 type) are essentially a standard single space DIN size,
and with this in mind I realized that if I just had the right mounting kit, I could install a Spectra control head
right in my dash underneath the radio, which right now is just a spare change box filling one DIN space,
and have a super clean, neat, semi-stealth installation.

I'm sure that after all these years this has come up before and I have no doubt that such a kit IS available
without me having to hand-craft my own. (I can do that, as I'm an amateur machinist, among several
other hobbies, but I'd rather just buy the kit and be done with it. I have too many projects lined up already.)

So, who makes such a kit and what's the part number?

Elroy
I don't know of anyone who makes one, it was easy enough to make one on my own. I got a double DIN kit to replace my ford radio a couple years ago. I mounted a spectra in there too, the remote head anyway. I had to drill a couple holes and get longer mounting screws as well as enlarge the DIN bore b/c the spectra is slightly larger.

That was all, worked great.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”