Troy vs. Havis Explorer Console

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Troy vs. Havis Explorer Console

Post by NSPD »

I have a 2005 Explorer Limited that I am doing an equipment install in soon. Much to my dismay, I found out (after trying to order from a distributer) that the contour console for the 2002-2005 Ford Explorer has been discontinued. I also have had absolutely zero luck finding anyone that has one in very good shape that they want to get rid of.

I'm just looking for opinions of the Troy Products console vs. the Havis-Shields console at this point. I like the looks of the havis console more than the Troy console, but I am concerned about the internal space. I will be mounting 2 25-Watt CDM's and a Kenwood TK-7180 in the console, so I need one deep enough to at least hold all of those.

Does anyone have any high-resolution photos they can post of send me of either console actually installed?

Thanks!
Jake
motorola_otaku

Re: Troy vs. Havis Explorer Console

Post by motorola_otaku »

My preference is for Havis, but it says right on their page that the max depth is 6.75'' towards the front. Looks like you'll be remoting those CDMs if you go that route, unless you want to do it the ugly way and have them protrude from the console.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

motorola_otaku wrote:My preference is for Havis, but it says right on their page that the max depth is 6.75'' towards the front. Looks like you'll be remoting those CDMs if you go that route, unless you want to do it the ugly way and have them protrude from the console.
Ew. Protruding bubble-head radios. Fail.
NickH

Post by NickH »

I'll check tomorrow when I get to work, but I'm pretty sure I have a Jotto NOS console. I just can't remember if it's an Explorer or Expedition one...
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

Awesome, please let me know!!
Jake

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”