XTL-5000 Dual Head Headset Wiring / Interface

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Andy Brinkley
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: FMR80D and a Motrac with Scan

XTL-5000 Dual Head Headset Wiring / Interface

Post by Andy Brinkley »

Do the mike / PTT inputs and the speaker outputs on the rear connector of a dual head XTL-5000 stay live regardless of which head is selected?

I am in the process of picking up a new fire truck and the headset system has been wired to the front head, which goes "dead" when switched to the rear co ntrol head and therfore renders the headset system useless for the pump operator.

Thanks
Andy / NC4AB
Jim202

Re: XTL-5000 Dual Head Headset Wiring / Interface

Post by Jim202 »

I have never seen anything to indicate the rear accessory connector changes with the control head selection.

One point that I would like to make is that if your external mic seems to have low audio, there is a software
setting in the radio wide selection under (think it is transmitter audio or something like that) the next
window. It will show you a gain setting for 3 different modes of operation. It also gives you the choice
of AGC or not. I would un check the AGC selection. You can set the gain as high as +12 for the 3
selections (analog, digital, secure).

Jim

Andy Brinkley wrote:Do the mike / PTT inputs and the speaker outputs on the rear connector of a dual head XTL-5000 stay live regardless of which head is selected?

I am in the process of picking up a new fire truck and the headset system has been wired to the front head, which goes "dead" when switched to the rear control head and therefore renders the headset system useless for the pump operator.

Thanks
Andy Brinkley
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: FMR80D and a Motrac with Scan

Post by Andy Brinkley »

Jim -

Thanks for the quick reply. The fire truck installer had pulled the mike and speaker from the front head and did not understand that when the rear head is live the front head is dead.

Now we have to see what it will take to rwork / rewire everything to pull from the rear of the drawer unit.

Now for the next question - Per MOL it appears that HKN6158 the correct plug / interface cable?
Andy / NC4AB
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

We have been using the HLN6863A connector assembly. However this one comes with the power wire, fuse,
speaker connector and the short zip cord already installed. Think the 5 extra pins come with it. You can obtain
extra pins using # 3980034F01. Forget how many pins come with that number. Been a while since I have ordered
them.

Pins:
1 = DGND
2 = BUS+
3 = BUS-
9 = BUSY
14 = AGND
15 = EMG
16 = PTT
20 = RXAH (spkr hi)
23 = TXAH (mic in)
24 = AW B+
25 = IGN
26 = RXAL (spkr lo)

Any other pins you might need, I would have to go into the manual.

Jim

Andy Brinkley wrote:Jim -

Thanks for the quick reply. The fire truck installer had pulled the mike and speaker from the front head and did not understand that when the rear head is live the front head is dead.

Now we have to see what it will take to rwork / rewire everything to pull from the rear of the drawer unit.

Now for the next question - Per MOL it appears that HKN6158 the correct plug / interface cable?

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”