VHF/UHF Diplexer with VHF > 170 MHz

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

hobbes

VHF/UHF Diplexer with VHF > 170 MHz

Post by hobbes »

I've got a VHF Astro Spectra and a UHF MCS2000 that I'd like to put in the truck. I'm height-limited (garage + truck cap) so I'm pretty much limited to what I can mount off the hood. I've already got a scanner antenna mounted on one side of the vehicle using a L-bracket in the hood groove that works well, figured I'd do the same on the other side with a dual-band antenna.

The problem is that one of the frequencies I need to work with is pretty high in the VHF range -- 173.xxx MHz. All of the diplexers I've seen seem to have 170 MHz as the high point of their VHF bandpass.

Any thoughts? Perhaps a commercial-band diplexer that you've seen with a higher split that I haven't found? Suggestions to avoid the whole dual-band thing in the first place?

As always, thanks for any help. ;-)
akardam

Re: VHF/UHF Diplexer with VHF > 170 MHz

Post by akardam »

I'd put a VHF 1/4 wave (tuned to your needs) on an L bracket on the other side of the hood from the scanner antenna, and a UHF 1/4 wave (similarily tuned) on the roof. The UHF antenna will be all of 6-7" tall, and will provide excellent broad-band coverage.
motorola_otaku

Re: VHF/UHF Diplexer with VHF > 170 MHz

Post by motorola_otaku »

akardam wrote:..and a UHF 1/4 wave (similarily tuned) on the roof. The UHF antenna will be all of 6-7" tall, and will provide excellent broad-band coverage.
And if even that is too tall, PCTEL Maxrad makes a low-profile UHF antenna that covers 430-480 on par with or better than a 1/4-wave whip, and is all of 3 3/8'' tall.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”