Lowband antenna

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fireguy810

Lowband antenna

Post by fireguy810 »

I'm looking for a mobile antenna for 46 MHz similar to the firestik antenna. Something fiberglass to be mounted behind the cab of a pickup. Anyone know of anything? The standard nmo mount mobile antenna won't work for my situation.

Thanks
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Re: Lowband antenna

Post by MSS-Dave »

fireguy810 wrote:I'm looking for a mobile antenna for 46 MHz similar to the firestik antenna. Something fiberglass to be mounted behind the cab of a pickup. Anyone know of anything? The standard nmo mount mobile antenna won't work for my situation.

Thanks
Look here...
http://www.hamstick.com/9106.html

Hybrid fiberglass coil and SS whip with a 3/8"x24 thread. I don't know if it will drop to 46 Meg with acceptable SWR, might need a longer whip. You might drop a e-mail to them with your request and see what they say...

Dave
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

If you get a thick mount NMO base, they will mount just fine to the top aluminum cover of a tool box. Just
make sure you drill the hole between the ridges of the plate pattern.

Jim

fireguy810 wrote:I'm looking for a mobile antenna for 46 MHz similar to the firestik antenna. Something fiberglass to be mounted behind the cab of a pickup. Anyone know of anything? The standard nmo mount mobile antenna won't work for my situation.

Thanks
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Why wouldn't a normal NMO mount antenna work?

Only concern with those hamstick type antennas I have is if it snags on something you may be snapping the fiberglass part or the mount (depending on where it snags) vs a normal whip which will have the flexability.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
kb2crk
What radios do you own?: Astro Spectra Spectra Maratrac

Post by kb2crk »

the hamsticks are very durable but as was said the low frequency might be an issue. there is quite a bit of adjustment in them though. i had 3 of them mounted to the trunklid of my car and had caught numerous branches with them without an issue. a phone call to verify that it can be tuned ther would be a wise choice.
just call me dos impaired.... lol

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”