Console Wiring Quick-Disconnect

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Console Wiring Quick-Disconnect

Post by NSPD »

I am in the process of gathering parts to re-wire the radio console in a Ford Explorer.

I would like to put the entire console on quick-disconnects so that I can fully wire it outside of the vehicle, drop it in place, connect the power, and plug in the radios.

I currently have two 10-gauge main power wires coming from the battery (fused at 60A at the battery) into the console to the main fuse panel. I would like to put both these main power wires on a 2-pole connector of some type that I can simply plug/unplug, but I am having difficulty locating any power connectors that will handle a large current load.

FYI, this is the equipment installed:

Kenwood TK-7180H
Kenwood TK-7180
Kenwood TK-8180
Pyramid SVR-200U
2 Motorola Maxtracs (Data RX Only)
Kenwood TK-290 Vehicle Charger
Motorola XTS Vehicle Charger
Lind Vehicle Power Supply for Panasonic Toughbook

Anyone have any input/suggestions? I'd like to keep it as clean and neat as possible, but there isn't much space in the console with the radios installed.
Jake
tvsjr

Re: Console Wiring Quick-Disconnect

Post by tvsjr »

Powerpoles. You want the golf-cart sized variety.
http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-power ... 0-amp.html
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

Thanks for the input.. I ended up ordering a combination of 75-amp power poles for the project.
Jake
Sikdmax
New User

Post by Sikdmax »

Be sure to post some pictures of the install and finished product.... sounds like a good idea for vehicles that may need a large amount of equipment, but only at certain times. Removal when not needed would be nice.
ke7joi

Post by ke7joi »

NSPD wrote: I currently have two 10-gauge main power wires coming from the battery (fused at 60A at the battery) into the console to the main fuse panel. I would like to put both these main power wires on a 2-pole connector of some type that I can simply plug/unplug, but I am having difficulty locating any power connectors that will handle a large current load.
I would only use 30 amp fuses on 10 gauge wire as that is the max recomended current allowed on that wire size
Joel
KE7JOI
1 900 Spectra
1 VHF Spectra
3 900 GTX Portables
1 900 GTX Mobile
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

ke7joi wrote:
NSPD wrote: I currently have two 10-gauge main power wires coming from the battery (fused at 60A at the battery) into the console to the main fuse panel. I would like to put both these main power wires on a 2-pole connector of some type that I can simply plug/unplug, but I am having difficulty locating any power connectors that will handle a large current load.
I would only use 30 amp fuses on 10 gauge wire as that is the max recomended current allowed on that wire size
I would tend to agree, although it depends on wire length, since internal resistance increases linearly with wire length.
http://www.whelen.com/install/142/14207.pdf
Check page 6 - Whelen's chart seems to be pretty good. For 60A on 10ga. wire, they recommend 8 feet as a maximum. Personally, I would go with 6ga. which gives you 20.5 feet at 60A, or the more common 4ga.
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

The distance from the battery to the fuse panels is only about 6 1/2 feet, so I should be good there.

Hopefully I will be able to get this project finished Saturday, providing all of my parts arrive.
Jake
smokeybehr
What radios do you own?: Dozens. Want one? Email me.

Post by smokeybehr »

I've been using these: http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-power ... 5-amp.html with the #6 wiring and 40A fuses for my high-current applications.
No, I will not fix your computer. Call back during NORMAL business hours.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”