2009 Ford Focus Install?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Johnny Grep
What radios do you own?: M/A-COM's

2009 Ford Focus Install?

Post by Johnny Grep »

Hi there,

Looking for ideas on how to mount a mobile (MCS2K or Maxtrac) in a 2009 Ford Focus. I'm thinking under the armrest, but if you have any other ideas I'd really like to hear them... not an easy interior to work with :(
BENWSI
New User
What radios do you own?: CDM 750 in my truck

Re: 2009 Ford Focus Install?

Post by BENWSI »

We did some MotoTurbo's and used the control head kit and put them in the glove box for some vice squad guys, (radio in trunk.)
In the Tennessee hill country
Johnny Grep
What radios do you own?: M/A-COM's

Post by Johnny Grep »

BENWSI wrote:We did some MotoTurbo's and used the control head kit and put them in the glove box for some vice squad guys, (radio in trunk.)
How did you route the cabling and where did you get your power?
BENWSI
New User
What radios do you own?: CDM 750 in my truck

Post by BENWSI »

Of course our control cable, coax, and power were all in the trunk. We routed the power through a hole in the firewall we drilled and sealed. We looped the cabling up into the back of the glove box, left some slack for movement, and mounted the head in the glove box. They could actually shut the glove box with the mic hanging out without crimping it, (or stash in when they needed to be under cover.) We mounted the 1/4 whips on flat L-brackets, stuck them up through the back deck by the back glass, and covered it with a ball cap, (common in Tennessee.)[img[http://baptist1611.phpbb3now.com/users/ ... /duh10.gif[/img]
In the Tennessee hill country
mmckenna
What radios do you own?: AM/FM with 8 track.

Post by mmckenna »

I put a dual band Yaesu in our 2009 Escape.

Only way I could do it was to place the radio guts in the bottom of the center console, and the remote head on the front of the center console, just under the dashboard.

A real pain of an install.

I pulled power directly off the battery, and brought the power back through an existing grommet that is behind the fuse panel under the hood. Again, a real pain to get through there. I had to move the fuse box out of the way. Once you get under the dash, it's easy as there is a pretty good path under the center console.

Ours had a sun roof, so I was limited in antenna placement. I had to remove most of the rear trim to get the head liner down enough to see what was up there. I found that 24 inches from the rearmost point of the roof, where it meets the rear hatch, is about as far forward as you can safely go without running into cross members. Routing the antenna cable required getting it around the side impact air bag modules. I was able to bring the cable down the "C" pillar and along the door jamb to a point adjacent to the drivers seat. From there I was able to fish it under the seat and into the center console.

In the end, I'm happy with it, and wouldn't have done anything different. It took a full day to do the install, but it turned out pretty good. PM me if you have any specific questions.

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from."
mmckenna
What radios do you own?: AM/FM with 8 track.

Post by mmckenna »

I did a slightly better write up here:
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=79401
"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from."

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”