XTL2500 Telephone Handset wiring

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

pfd radio

XTL2500 Telephone Handset wiring

Post by pfd radio »

I have an XTL2500 with an M5 remote head with a telephone style handset (instead of a palm mic) installed in a fire engine. There is no audio to the handset. When I access the wiring there are two 2 pin connectors(from the cradle) connected together (like a loop).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but should one of these connectors go to radio audio out and the other connected to the external speaker?

I just want to make sure that I should be getting the audio from there and not from the mic connection on the control head.
Maybe a link to a wiring diagram - to show to the guy that installed it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
joescanner

Re: XTL2500 Telephone Handset wiring

Post by joescanner »

Correct - there is a connection from the radio audio out to the handset and then from the handset to the mobile speaker.

However, depending on which flavor of handset this is, be aware that Motorola has disco'd (with no comment) production, and there is no listed substitute at this time. (I can't remember the part number).

We have approximately 100 of these in service and a lot of times received audio goes completely dead (both handset and mobile speaker), unless the toggle switch at the top of the cradle is in the 'monitor' position. That may be why your handset is wired the way it is (with no audio to the handset).
pfd radio

Post by pfd radio »

That may be why your handset is wired the way it is (with no audio to the handset)
We just got them and wanted the audio in the handset - We could have just left the palm mics. Interesting that some of your failed to get audio.
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

This is OT, but really... what use a handset mic unless you're in an environment where a LOT of radios are in use (i.e., commandshed)?
joescanner

Post by joescanner »

Our application is transit. Lots of extraneous background noise (wooshing through a 3 mile long tunnel, freeway noise, and that's with the cab windows shut). There's also a "security" consideration - the mobile speakers are loud enough and the cab walls thin enough, that the radio can be heard well behind the operating cab.
mhodgson

Post by mhodgson »

The North Carolina Highway Patrol has used them in cars since we had Twin V's....GE's, Motorola's, Aerotron's, you name it we have had a handset and cradle. I have gotten so used to it, I have one on my primary XTL5000 in my own Excursion...call it habit....I do like sliding the handset under my leg for ready access...not to mention when there is alot of noise you can hold it up and hear.....The Patrol's primary purpose was that when the violator is in the front seat and the telecommunicator advised "Signal Three", we pick it up and kill the audio with the slide switch and things are relatively private...

As for the availability, the HLN-1220B that we have used on Syntor 9000/Astro Spectra/XTL W9 are indeed obsolete but the HLN-1457 (I think) are available. Just ordered an additional 175 XTL2500's with them and no issues. We are also using the remote mic extension cables to avoid having the connector plugged into the head...beware though that the cable does not support encryption updating NOR the fancy control mic.

Mike
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

mhodgson wrote:The North Carolina Highway Patrol has used them in cars since we had Twin V's....GE's, Motorola's, Aerotron's, you name it we have had a handset and cradle. I have gotten so used to it, I have one on my primary XTL5000 in my own Excursion...call it habit....I do like sliding the handset under my leg for ready access...not to mention when there is alot of noise you can hold it up and hear.....The Patrol's primary purpose was that when the violator is in the front seat and the telecommunicator advised "Signal Three", we pick it up and kill the audio with the slide switch and things are relatively private...

As for the availability, the HLN-1220B that we have used on Syntor 9000/Astro Spectra/XTL W9 are indeed obsolete but the HLN-1457 (I think) are available. Just ordered an additional 175 XTL2500's with them and no issues. We are also using the remote mic extension cables to avoid having the connector plugged into the head...beware though that the cable does not support encryption updating NOR the fancy control mic.

Mike
Pix?
What radios do you own?: MT-500 with scan

Post by 123 »

mhodgson wrote:The North Carolina Highway Patrol has used them in cars since we had Twin V's....GE's, Motorola's, Aerotron's, you name it we have had a handset and cradle. I have gotten so used to it, I have one on my primary XTL5000 in my own Excursion...call it habit....I do like sliding the handset under my leg for ready access...not to mention when there is alot of noise you can hold it up and hear.....The Patrol's primary purpose was that when the violator is in the front seat and the telecommunicator advised "Signal Three", we pick it up and kill the audio with the slide switch and things are relatively private...

Mike

Will the HMN4097A allow to kill the external speaker at will as well?
Keep the flames to yourself.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”