XTL5000, DEK, VRS Cable Questions

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W6WAW

XTL5000, DEK, VRS Cable Questions

Post by W6WAW »

I am planning some changes in my vehicle installation. Currently I am running VHF and UHF XTL5000s each with O3 heads. I am pulling the speaker audio from the accessory connector on the rear of each of the radios. The O3s use the regular 17 foot extension cables from the trunk.

I would like to add a DEK to one of the radios to control a PA / air horn and a VRS. I am planning to add an additional XTL, so I'd like to run any cables I need for the DEK, etc., at the same time.

Could someone please tell me what I will need for cabling? I already have the short cable that goes between the VRS750 and the XTL5000. Can I run the VRS and the PA / air horn (derived from the Astro Spectra siren box) from the same XTL5000 or do I need to run a second DEK off another radio? I'd prefer to use just one DEK if possible. If there is a way just to control the VRS with a separate toggle switch at the VRS, that would work fine too if it will reduce the number of cables to be pulled.

I've done a couple searches here, but haven't come up with all of the information needed, especially with the O3 heads.

Many thanks in advance for info and advice!
MikeOxlong

Re: XTL5000, DEK, VRS Cable Questions

Post by MikeOxlong »

You'll have to ditch the O3 heads in order to use a VRS. VRS' are not compatible with the O3 head.

Once you've got an O5 head and the cable from the head to the drawer, you'll need the drawer to siren/pa cable and the T cable to connect the VRS to the siren/pa.

You'll also need a separate VRS/DEK for both radios. It would take some serious Macgyvering to use one DEK/VRS for two radios.

I'll dig up the part numbers later. I did up a VHF XTL5000 with O5 head, DEK, VRS750 and siren unit for my vehicle.

UHF is an O3 without VRS or siren/pa.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”