How to fill holes drilled in plastic (from mic. clip) ?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

How to fill holes drilled in plastic (from mic. clip) ?

Post by MT2000 man »

Good day all,
I've done a search here, and throughout Google as a whole and didn't find much on this. I have a center console on a newer Jeep that had a Mic hangup clip (two smaller sized holes) drilled through the center console (it's plastic).
Is there anything out there that will patch up those two small holes or will I have to live with it ?? :)
tvsjr

Re: How to fill holes drilled in plastic (from mic. clip) ?

Post by tvsjr »

How about a mic clip and 2 screws?
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

lol Very funny :)
Leaving the mic clip installed with no radio in the car (took it out a few days ago) would look dumb. Then again, a lot of people do it so that could be my solution after all lol
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

Have you checked with a dealer to see how much a new plastic piece would be? I have replaced some large pieces of trim for around $20.00. Sometimes the price is better than trying to fill them.

Jim
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

MT2000 man wrote:Good day all,
I've done a search here, and throughout Google as a whole and didn't find much on this. I have a center console on a newer Jeep that had a Mic hangup clip (two smaller sized holes) drilled through the center console (it's plastic).
Is there anything out there that will patch up those two small holes or will I have to live with it ?? :)

You didn't say if this was for trading in the vehicle or not. In most cases, the dealer doesn't care,
as the vehicle will be sent to the auction yard anyway. Even the antenna mounts on the roof
are the same. They don't care as long as the water stays out.

Jim
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

Use the holes for something else.

Use a soldering iron to carefully melt and shape the plastic.

And finally the safest option, One of those "As Seen On TV" vinyl seat repair kits. Mix to color match, fill the holes, texture the surface to match. Nearly an invisible repair.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

For future reference, I've found that the stick-on Icom Mic hangup device never comes unstuck until you want it to come off. Only problem is that it's literally a hook device rather than a slide-in type for conventional mobile mics.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

Thank you all for the replies.
To answer some questions, no I'm not returning the Jeep (not a lease). It's just the holes are just "there" and I'd rather them not be (if that makes sence ). I traded an F350 in a few years back that had like 6 holes drilled into the dash and they didn't say a word about it, so I wasn't worried about that part.
To me the holes just make the interior look a little "off".
I like the idea about repair kits. I'll check my local Auto Zone and see what they have.
From this point on, I've learned my lesson about drilling into your personal vehicles: NEVER drill unless you KNOW your equipment will STAY in that ONE location !!!" :)

Thanks again everyone !
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
kinnelonfire75
New User
What radios do you own?: Min4, Min5, CDM1250, HT1250

Post by kinnelonfire75 »

You can always fill it with silicone or similar compound. Then use a blade to make it even with the surface. Use a felt tipped marker (furniture markers will do...) to shade in the color that you need. As long as you do not do a close inspection it passes the test.

This worked out for me on numerous occasions. Once when i drilled one more hole in the dash than i should have also when i drilled a whole through the small picnic table that i was working off of. Apparently 1 1/2" titanium bits go through like butter. :oops:
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

I have taken some trim off the car, the A pillar is a good one, and remove the lineup pins, and then melted them into the holes.
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Take styrene plastic (plastic models with the plastic approximately the same color of your dash) sprues (the parts that hold the model parts) Heat one of the sprues with a candle and strech the sprue apart. Let it harden. Cut one segment of the sprue so you have a pointed piece. Push the sprue into the hole until it stops at the same diameter as the hole. Use a small amount of superglue to secure it. Use an exacto knife to cut it off flush with the dash. Should give you a pretty good hole filler. Rinse, lather, repeat.....YMMV

Fowler
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”