2001 Ford Ranger Install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

EHSmedic
New User

2001 Ford Ranger Install

Post by EHSmedic »

Hey Guys, I am looking to install 2 radios into my 2001 Ford Ranger. Radio 1 is a VHF Kenwood TK780 and the second is just a scanner (Uniden BCT15). Now both of these are 2 different sizes and I have never done this before. Does anyone have any tips on how to make backets or consoles for these 2 radios to fit nicely? Does anyone have anything for sale? Even some pictures to give me some ideas would be great.

Thanks!
"Ambulance Dispatch"
Bill_G

Re: 2001 Ford Ranger Install

Post by Bill_G »

Part of the fun is the creative challenge. Since this is your first install, start small and work big later. Unless you have prior experience in metal and/or wood working, it may not be the most sanitary install in the world, but it will be yours, and something you can be proud of. Go down to the city public works or cop shop to see how their radio gear is mounted. Visit a car stereo shop and watch how they wire stuff. Get to understand the basics of good, solid mechanical mounts, power wiring, and antenna mounting. Then go for the splash. Learn how to drill a hole and fill it with a screw without ruining your transmission or stereo. You'll get it.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”