2006 Tahoe

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WB4JGI
was whitstu

2006 Tahoe

Post by WB4JGI »

Here's my latest creation. This is my personal SUV. https://picasaweb.google.com/whitstu/TruckInstall# There have been a few additions since then I'll have to update Picasa with them later on.
Stu
motorola_otaku

Re: 2006 Tahoe

Post by motorola_otaku »

Looks good. The only nitpicks I can find are the bunched-up extra wiring in the rear tray and the underhood wiring.. you really should heatshrink the lugs with double-thickness adhesive heat shrink and split-loom everything.

I'm getting ready to do an '05. Is yours the police model or civvie?
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Post by WB4JGI »

It's a government model. I know about the wiring, it was installed in the fall and now it's warming up here a little bit so I'll have a chance one weekend to take care of that. It's just out of sight and out of mind so to speak. But seeing that here the other day just made me want to get wire cutters and strip all that excess.
Stu
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

WB4JGI wrote:It's a government model. I know about the wiring, it was installed in the fall and now it's warming up here a little bit so I'll have a chance one weekend to take care of that. It's just out of sight and out of mind so to speak. But seeing that here the other day just made me want to get wire cutters and strip all that excess.

My only comment is that about half of those radios or more will have to be pulled and replaced with narrow band compliant ones before 01-01-2013 from the looks of them. However, photos can be deceiving.

Jim
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Post by WB4JGI »

The oldest radio in there is a UHF Astro Spectra, which is going to be replaced with a XTL when funds become available.
Stu
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Jim202 wrote:
WB4JGI wrote:It's a government model. I know about the wiring, it was installed in the fall and now it's warming up here a little bit so I'll have a chance one weekend to take care of that. It's just out of sight and out of mind so to speak. But seeing that here the other day just made me want to get wire cutters and strip all that excess.

My only comment is that about half of those radios or more will have to be pulled and replaced with narrow band compliant ones before 01-01-2013 from the looks of them. However, photos can be deceiving.

Jim
They aren't all that deceiving to me... Astro Spectra high-power, XTL5000 O5 high power, siren module, and VRS750. None of which should have to be pulled before 1/1/13.
paulabdou
New User
What radios do you own?: xts5000, bc246t

Post by paulabdou »

That is a very nice set up!
Johnny Grep
What radios do you own?: M/A-COM's

Post by Johnny Grep »

Very nice.

How's the performance on your phantom antennas?
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Post by WB4JGI »

Actually they work very well. I was skeptic at first when I bought them, but they are working just as good as any other antenna design.
Stu
ILuvXMRadio
What radios do you own?: Plenty

Post by ILuvXMRadio »

WB4JGI wrote:Actually they work very well. I was skeptic at first when I bought them, but they are working just as good as any other antenna design.
Can you give us the model numbers for the phantom antennas and the bandwidth on each? I'm interested in something low profile for all bands... can't fit a 1/4 wave vhf on my "tahoe".

Any updates are apprecaited.
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Post by WB4JGI »

Stu
ILuvXMRadio

Post by ILuvXMRadio »

I thought you had a 'puck' for vhf? the link shows a 1/4wave whip. Maybe I saw it incorrectly in a picture...
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Post by WB4JGI »

The VHF XTL is on that Larsen 1/4 wave and working great. I can't switch to a low profile antenna because that radio is 110 watts.

The hockey puck antenna is used for cell, wifi, or pcs.
Stu
ILuvXMRadio

Post by ILuvXMRadio »

Yeah... i was looking at a different picture.

Can you forward me info on this VHF puck? Just curious.. I'm using a mid power astro spectra on V... I wonder what results I'd get with that VHF puck in the pic below..

motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

I.. am pretty sure those are just blank NMO caps and not actual antennas.
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Post by WB4JGI »

In that picture those are just NMO rain caps. When they were drilled a storm was coming in so I had decided to put the rain caps on the NMO mounts as some of the antennas weren't in yet.
Stu

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”