2003 Ranger. Anyone work on one yet?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

2003 Ranger. Anyone work on one yet?

Post by nmfire10 »

I am probably getting a 2003 Ranger Edge+ extended cab this weekend. Wondering if anyone has worked on one of these in the way of radio, lights, speakers, etc etc etc etc etc. I have a few ideas but still some things up in the air. I haven't spend enough time in one to see exactly.

It will have buckets and a factory console. I think I want to leave the facotry console, no comm console for now. As few holes possible since this is new and under warrently. I probably will not be using my lightbar since I don't want to drill holes in this brand new truck. That leaves me with the following...

(1) Icomm IC-2800H Dual band remote head ham radio w/Antenna. Control head on the dash or console somewhere with the tranciever on the back extened cab somewhere.

(1) TIR6 Slimlighter MM- I'm leaning towards over the rear view
mirror for this.

(2) 500 Series LED lightheads- Possibly flush mount in the sides of
the tool box for intersections?

(2) 911EP LED Stars- Back window or outside around the toolbox facing
back. Maybe in the front somewhere if I get hideaways in the back.

(2) Par 36 Extended Lense strobe heads- Possibly behind the grill

(1) 4 outlet 80 watt power supply- Extended cab somewhere

(1) WS-295HFS4 remote head siren/light controler- Not sure where to
put the control head yet, but the amp can go in the extended cab
somewhere.

(1) Project-a-flex Speaker- Duh, in the grill I hope.

This is the exact truck but the I don't have any close up pictures
yet. Hell, I don't even have the truck in my posession yet, but if
it helps with ideas...

http://www.fordvehicles.com/images/2003 ... _snblu.jpg

So if anyone has worked on this vehicle before, I'd love to hear
about it. Thanks!

Matt
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
kens

Post by kens »

I'm just starting similar work on 2 Rangers. (89 and 95). It seems there is considerable space behind the grill. I'm thinking about using a sugar scoop speaker mounted low and in front of the radiator. Several people have suggested a visor shelf for radios and lights. I haven't checked if they are available for the Ranger. The only one I have seen was about $175. Both trucks have shells, and I'm planning on mounting a Weldon strobe on the rear top of the 95.
Good luck
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

The new Rangers are very easy to install stuff in. My brother in law has a few things that I put in for him. Didn't take long at all. He's got a CB, scanner, 2 switches and his dashlight. Not much but all power and antenna wires were run through a gasket in the firewall. If I remember correctly it's to the left of the brake pedal and about 2-3 inches higher. Big hole too....probably about 3 inches in diameter. The hood release cable goes through there.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”