boat installation

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

boat installation

Post by jmr3865 »

Hey guys
My squad just got a new rescue boat. It is a flat bottomed alunimum center console boat with a metal light bar mount.
I will be installing 2 antennas and 2 radios on the boat. I am looking for any tips or suggestions for the install. I would like to wrap the connections in something but not sure what. I am also looking at suggestions for antennas and mounts.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you
JMR
KC2QVO
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: boat installation

Post by Wowbagger »

Wrapping: Wrap the connections first in electrical tape, then in butyl rubber tape, then again in electrical tape.

The first electrical tape is to make it easier to take the connection apart if you need to - it keeps the butyl rubber out of the connection.
The butyl rubber provides water resistance, but it is sticky as hell until it cures. Then it is just sticky as heck.
The final electrical tape protects the buytl from being punctured, keeps it from rubbing off on everything, and keeps it from being degraded by sunlight, salt spray, and ozone.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

For antenna's I would look for no ground plane antennas. Does this bat have an enclosed bow? if not I would also try to mount the radios in a weather proof box with a lid or mount them somwhere out of the way not to get wet.
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

thanks, nothing is enclosed.
JMR
KC2QVO
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

Do you have a suggestion for a good ground plane antenna?
JMR
KC2QVO
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

If this a seasonal, or occasional rescue / SAR boat that will spend most of it's life on a trailer in the locked compound, you guys might be better off just using portables especially if system coverage is good. If it's a patrol boat with daily use, then I'd go through the trouble of permanently mounting radios.

Antenna choices depend on what bands you are trying to operate. Tessco has a number of groundplane-less antennas but with limited mounting options. Look for marine antennas - low gain, no ground plane required, corrosion resistant heavy duty plastic mounts (some foldable). Marine quality antennas generally are limited to VHF however.

I'd wrap connections in silicon tape. It's weather and corrosion resistant, easily applied, easily removed, and doesn't leave a mess.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”